No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Advice needed on P1 and AD on premise

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I have a customer with an on premise SBS 2011. P1 seems like the right option for the customer considering his requirements. I was wondering, what would be the best practice recommendation for the on premise AD. Should I remove it? Should I leave it in place? AFAIK, there is no directory sync with P1, so I'm not sure what would be the best option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eyal

Verified Answer
  • Hi Eyal,

Currently, the P1 account doesn’t support Active Directory Synchronization. In terms of this situation, I think here are some choice:

1), If you user choose the P1 account, his customers would have two types of credential : Office 365 credential and On premise credential, the two credentials can't be integrated currently. 
    In terms of this situation, if you turn off the on-premise AD, it will not affect the online accounts.

2), If you customer need to intergrade the on-premise and Online credentials, he need to choose the Enterprise plan and deploy the Active Directory Synchronization service.
    To deploy the Active Dirctory synchronization, please refer to Active Directory synchronization: Roadmap.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post  them in the forum.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

All Replies
  • Hi Eyal,

Currently, the P1 account doesn’t support Active Directory Synchronization. In terms of this situation, I think here are some choice:

1), If you user choose the P1 account, his customers would have two types of credential : Office 365 credential and On premise credential, the two credentials can't be integrated currently. 
    In terms of this situation, if you turn off the on-premise AD, it will not affect the online accounts.

2), If you customer need to intergrade the on-premise and Online credentials, he need to choose the Enterprise plan and deploy the Active Directory Synchronization service.
    To deploy the Active Dirctory synchronization, please refer to Active Directory synchronization: Roadmap.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post  them in the forum.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Thanks Evan, few more followup questions.

If I go with (1) above and turn off the on-premise AD, I assume the desktop profiles of all users will be lost and local users will be created. Am I right? Can I move their profiles (domain users -> local users)?

If I go with (2) and the customer needs Office Web Apps, does this mean that the only option is E2 plan ($14 vs. $6)?

Eyal

• Hi Eyal,

Thanks for your update.

1), Yes, and based on my knowledge, we can copy the domain users’ profiles to the local users’, so that we can move their profiles.
    2), Yes, E1 plan can only view Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote files online. If you need to edit them, you  can choose the E2 and later plans.

Please refer to Take a look at Office 365 plans available

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang