No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Password reset requirement before migration of BPOS user

This question is answered This question is answered

We are in a phase of migration of our BPOS user mailbox to Office 365. There is a pre-requisites on office 365 that users account password must be reset before migration  to Office 365.

Here is the scenario:

We have 2 forest, Forest A we use for authenticating users to their machines and access all the internal infrastructural resources. Forest  B is dedicated for BPOS . We have script scheduled to sync the new user created on Forest A  to sync with Forest B

We are planning for SSO for office 365 which is not in there in our current scenario with BPOS.

Here is the Migration Strategy.

1)Create a new Forest C for Office 365

2)Sync Forest A with new Forest C (Office 365 AD)

3)Reset password for Forest B (BPOS AD)user account

4)Sync Forest B (BPOS AD) with Forest C (Office 365 AD).

5)Sync the Forest A users password using PCNS tool with Forest C Office 365.

What I'm really confuse and looking for answer is on point 3, do we really have to reset the password for all users of Forest B (BPOS ) for migration though we are going to sync the password of Forest A (Internal AD) with new Forest C (Office 365 AD).

Would really appreciate any comments on it.

All Replies
  • Hi AID,

I understand you are transferring from BPOS to Office 365. You want to clarify whether changing password is required for the transition.

Yes, it’s required to change the password when preparing the transition. Changing your password in BPOS triggers an action on the back end to send your user name and password to the Office 365 servers. If you do not change your password in BPOS, you will not be able to sign in to Office 365 later on.

In addition, looking through the scenario you given, you may want to manually create a new forest (users) C for Office 365 tenant. To be clarify, Forest C will be automatically created and copied from Forest B, therefore, Point 1 in your strategy is not needed.

I sincerely suggest you follow the Checklist for administrators for the transition.

Regarding to the strategy you given, I suggest the following order:
    1), [Updated by moderator] Change your password and have your users change their passwords in BPOS.2), Sync Forest B (BPOS AD) with Forest C (Office 365 AD). => This is the automatically transition step, which don’t need to take any manually action.
    3), Consider change password for Forest C, and deploy SSO. You can refer to Step 7 at the Checklist for administrators.

If I misunderstood anything, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi AID,

How is thing going? Did my above information help you or do you need any further assistance?

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Thanks Evan you answererd my question  "Changing your password in BPOS triggers an action on the back end to send your user name and password to the Office 365 servers" was helpful.. I am more curious to know why the password reset is required to migrate BPOS mail accounts to O365.

• Sorry was not able to complete my question and accidently clicked the Reply tab while i was on the conf call.  So I am more curious to know why the password reset is required to migrate BPOS mail accounts to O365. If it's only that Users are not able to access their mailbox after migration, I would be syncing the password using FIM from Forest A to Forest C do you thin that wont solve the problem of password and i should still mandate to reset the password on BPOS AD before migration

• Hi AID,

I have double checked the Checklist for administrators and Checklist for users for transition BPOS to Office 365, there is no a password reset step during the transition. I’m sorry that I mixed up changing password and resetting password.

According to the Checklist for users, it is important that users change their password in BPOS, the changing would trigger the synchronizing in the same way. However, you don’t need to reset your users’ password.

We can update step 1 at the strategy as:
    1), Change your password and have your users change their passwords in BPOS.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi AID,

Just checking in to make sure my above information is helpful. If you have any other questions, please feel free to post your questions in the forum.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Thanks Evan  your answered my question.