No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

On-premise and Office 365 AD Replication

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

Can someone please explain the best options I have for the following scenario.

Currently, I have a local domain deployed for an application that uses the DC. Apart from that, all the users are in a separate Office 365 environment. What options do I have if i want to replicate the directory services from the Office 365 environment to the local domain that i have. So primarily i want to replicate all the Office 365 AD objects over at my on-premise local domain controller so only the application will use it.

Verified Answer
  • Hello Jude,

Do you want to synchronize the Office 365 users (created at Office 365 directly) from Office 365 to your on-premises AD?

If so, it isn’t available in Office 365 currently. If you don’t have many users created at Office 365, please add them at local AD manually.
    In addition, if you have question about on-premises Active Directory, please post your question at the following forum for discussion on Windows Server Active Directory services.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverDS/threads

Best regards,
    Claud

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hello Jude,

Do you want to synchronize the Office 365 users (created at Office 365 directly) from Office 365 to your on-premises AD?

If so, it isn’t available in Office 365 currently. If you don’t have many users created at Office 365, please add them at local AD manually.
    In addition, if you have question about on-premises Active Directory, please post your question at the following forum for discussion on Windows Server Active Directory services.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverDS/threads

Best regards,
    Claud

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hello Jude,

Do you need other assistance about using Office 365?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Hi Claud,

Thanks for the clarification.

1) So lets say i created all the users manually at my on-premise domain so that all objects tally with the Office 365 objects is it possible to use ADFS and enable DirSync at this moment so in future i dont have to deal with multiple object creations ?

2) In an environment where a 'Large' company with around 1000-2000 users may be has only Office 365 with no local AD, what if the company wants to get  a copy of the AD objects ? So i believe there is no option rather than manually creating all the 1000-2000 records right ?

• Hello Jude,

Yes, just as Claud said, Dirsync tool is used for synchronizing user object from on-premise AD to Office 365. Currently, only a few attribute of user account can be wrote back to your on-premise AD. If your on-premise application wants to use user account created from Office 365, you should create them again on DC in on-premise domain manually.

Thank you.

Jack Sun  

• Hi,

Thank You Jack.

Can you please assist on the possibility of the following scenario;

1) I create a new on-premise domain controller and add all the objects and attributes which are already on office 365 and make sure all the records levels are equally present in both environments. In such case, can i enable ADFS and enable DirSync at this moment so in future i dont have to deal with multiple object creations ?

2) If possible, what objects, attributes should i look into when creating the objects locally. (I have Lync Online, Exchange and Sharepoint enabled with Office365)

• Hello Jude,

Thanks for your feedback.
    For the first question:
    Yes.

For the second question:
    You may refer to the following article to use SMTP matching to match on-premises user accounts to Office 365 user accounts for Directory Synchronization.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2641663

In addition, if you encounter the issue when using SMTP matching in the future, please feel free to post detailed information about the issue, such as some screenshots, in a new thread in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Help please, Our DirSync server is up and running and it was running every 3 hours but looks like the updates on the AD object was not replicated to Office 365 objects.

Need to know what happens.