No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Dirsync with ADFS and Distrribution groups

This question is answered This question is answered

We recently migrated from BPOS to Office 365.  During this upgrade we went with ADFS for the single password for the users to remember.  We have an issue where distubution groups are not getting updated in the cloud.  We can up date them on premis and the current users show in the address book but none of our edits make it out there.   I have a ticket in with Office 365 support they wanted us to turn off dirsync and put the security back in the cloud...  I am not sure how ADFS would like this option. 

Looking online we followed some recommendations.  We extended the AD schema and we have enabled mail for these distribution groups.  We have also made sure they have display names and cn names.  The microsoft tech though I should see all the distrubtion group out in the cloud we do not see any out there in the cloud.

Any advice would be a preciated.

Thanks again

Verified Answer
  • Hi Mschmidt,

I noticed that service request has been closed due to our support engineer cannot reach you. Distribution groups will not be able to be synced to Office 365 because group objects do not have a displayName attribute that is set by default. Directory synchronization requires that all mail-enabled groups have a display name. Therefore, you also have to set the display name. Please refer to the following steps to complete this:

1. On your local Active Directory domain controller, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2. Select the root of the tool, and then click Advanced Features on the View menu.
    3. Locate the user security group that you want to adjust, right-click the group, and then click Properties.
    4. On the Attribute Editor tab, locate and then select the displayName attribute, and then click Edit. In the Value box, type the display name that you want, and then click OK two times.

For more information about this, please refer to the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2588125

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

All Replies
  • Hi Mschmidt,

I notice that you have opened an Service Request with this issue.

Based on current situation, I will send a private message to you to request the SR number. So I can help you monitor the SR. Besides, we will keep monitor the thread, if you need further assistance or something you need us to follow up, please post it in this thread.

To access the private message:
    1. Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
    2. Click Private messages.
    3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

Moreover, we welcome you post the SR’s solution and updates in forum. The information may be helpful to others. Thanks.

Best regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi Mschmidt,

I have received your SR number, and I will help to monitor your SR. If you need further assistance or something you need us to follow up, please post it in this thread.

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Hi Mschmidt,

I noticed that service request has been closed due to our support engineer cannot reach you. Distribution groups will not be able to be synced to Office 365 because group objects do not have a displayName attribute that is set by default. Directory synchronization requires that all mail-enabled groups have a display name. Therefore, you also have to set the display name. Please refer to the following steps to complete this:

1. On your local Active Directory domain controller, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2. Select the root of the tool, and then click Advanced Features on the View menu.
    3. Locate the user security group that you want to adjust, right-click the group, and then click Properties.
    4. On the Attribute Editor tab, locate and then select the displayName attribute, and then click Edit. In the Value box, type the display name that you want, and then click OK two times.

For more information about this, please refer to the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2588125

Thanks,
    Reken Liu