No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

AD 2003 and hosted email migration

This question is answered This question is answered

Hello,

We have a client that wants to migrate into MS 365 from their current environment. Everything I have read talks about using DirSync and ADFS to create single sign-on. Is this the same process when they only have a local AD prem and hosted email instead of prem email? Do we need to use DirSync still for this, and please confirm if DirSync has to on a seperate server than AD and be at least Windows 2008.

The other question I have is can the client stay at AD 2003 or would we need to upgrade to AD 2008.

Do we have to do DirSync and ADFS before setting up the 365 accounts? Would it be ok to move the email to 365 and then setup single sign-on.

Thanks,

James

Verified Answer
  • DirSync is used to synchronize local AD accounts to cloud side, DirSync is a requirement for SSO, hybrid and Staged Exchange Migration.

ADFS is designed to provide the feature that using local AD credential to access cloud services.

DirSync must be on a domain joined computer and not a DC, recommended to use a dedicated computer. 32 bit DirSync requires windows 2003/2008, 64 bit DirSync requires windows 2008/R2.

There is no domain/forest function level requirement for DirSync and ADFS server. windows 2000 will be enough I think.

Personally, I would suggest deploy DirSync and ADFS before migration, as you will have enough time to pilot these features and functions. 

All Replies
  • DirSync is used to synchronize local AD accounts to cloud side, DirSync is a requirement for SSO, hybrid and Staged Exchange Migration.

ADFS is designed to provide the feature that using local AD credential to access cloud services.

DirSync must be on a domain joined computer and not a DC, recommended to use a dedicated computer. 32 bit DirSync requires windows 2003/2008, 64 bit DirSync requires windows 2008/R2.

There is no domain/forest function level requirement for DirSync and ADFS server. windows 2000 will be enough I think.

Personally, I would suggest deploy DirSync and ADFS before migration, as you will have enough time to pilot these features and functions. 

• Hi James,

Does LesterR's reply answer your question?

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan