No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Automatic sign out

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I need my users to be disabled after being inactive at Office365 for some time in case they forget to sign out. What is the automatic log off time and how to I change it?

Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Hi Jille,

Currently, we can't change the setting of session time-out for SharePoint Online. If you have any questions or have additional information to add to your previous suggestion, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at mymfe.microsoft.com/.../Feedback.aspx

Thanks,

Neo Zhu

All Replies
  • Hi Jille    

A user will be automatically signed out of the Online Service in Office 365 after the session is time-out. This behavior is by design. The session time-out periods for such services are listed as follows:

- Office 365 portal: 8 hours
    - Outlook Web App: 8 hours
    - SharePoint Online sites: 24 hours

Be aware of the following:

•When you sign out of the Microsoft Online Portal or OWA, you are not automatically signed out of SharePoint Online.
    •When you sign out of SharePoint Online, you are not automatically signed out of the Microsoft Online Portal or OWA.

As for this case ,we can setup OWA session time-out period .Take a look at this help topic: help.outlook.com/.../dd575549.aspx                

“set-organizationconfig –ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutEnabled $true ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutInterval 00:00:05 ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutWithSingleSignOnEnabled $true ”

Tips: The minimum timeout session is 5 minutes from the statement

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Hi Jille,

How is everything going? Do you have any updates about the status of the issue?

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Hi,

My problem was mainly due to Sharepoint Online. I think 24 h is too long for session time out. OWA is not a problem in this case.

Thanks,

Jill

• Hi Jille,

Currently, we can't change the setting of session time-out for SharePoint Online. If you have any questions or have additional information to add to your previous suggestion, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at mymfe.microsoft.com/.../Feedback.aspx

Thanks,

Neo Zhu

• Thank you!

• The correct powershell in that case is:

set-organizationconfig –ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutEnabled $true -ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutInterval 00:05:00 -ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutWithSingleSignOnEnabled $true

hth

Martina

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Martina Grom ☁

The correct powershell in that case is:

set-organizationconfig –ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutEnabled $true -ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutInterval 00:05:00 -ActivityBasedAuthenticationTimeoutWithSingleSignOnEnabled $true

hth

Martina

HA! Yes, I had to correct my code as well to bad I didn't scroll all the way down to see your post
  • yes and my answer was unfortunately not marked as correct. ;-)

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.