No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Migrating from Outlook 2002 to Office 365

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have been using Outlook 2002 as my email client for some considerable time. I have a large Contacts database and numerous emails that I want to be able to import into Office 365's Outlook. I  would greatly appreciate a detailed (and easy to understand) instruction on how to achieve this migration please.

All Replies
  • Hi farringdon,

Do you mean that you used the Office 365 account on Outlook 2002, but now you want to use the Outlook version that Office 365 supported?

If so, you can add the Office 365 account in the Outlook.
    Connect Outlook to This Account: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.useoutlookanywhere.aspx

If you just want to import the data to Outlook that Office 365 supported, you can refer to the following link to import the data to Outlook: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd401503.aspx

Currently, Office 365 supports the use of Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 or later versions.

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• No I have only just registered as a 365 user. All my emailing at present is handled on my pc by means of my on-pc copy of Outlook 2002 (MS Office).

What I need to know is how to copy my 2002 contacts etc. from my pc based version of Outlook 2002 to 365.

Look forward to your further advice

• Hi farringdon,

Do you mean the account in Outlook 2002 is not the Office 365 account?

If it is the case, the issue is related to Outlook, I would like to suggest you post the issue about how to export/copy the contacts in Outlook forum to get a quick response. Here is the forum link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook

After you export the contacts, you can refer to the following link to import contacts to the Office 365 account: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd401503.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• I have been able to import contact into 365 from Outlook 2002 but by exporting the original data into a .csv file. The suggestion in para 3 above to export from 2002 as a .pst file is not supported for import by Outlook 365. I would also like to have been able to import my 2002 calendar but that appears not to be possible at the 365 stage.

I have to say that I am disappointed that 365 does not offer .pst import capability. Hopefully this will be added in future upgrades. Are you able to pass these comments on to the developers?

• Hi farringdon,

We cannot export/import the .pst files in Outlook web App (OWA), but we can export/import the .pst files in Outlook client.

If you have some concerns about it, I would like to suggest you submit feedback about your requirement to our product team. With your feedback, our engineers can get more familiar with your need and further improve our product. Thank you for working closely to improve our products and service.

Best Regards,
    Anna Shi

• Here is a quick guide on how to import your pst to O365.

After you setup your Office 365 E-mail account (Exchange) in Outlook, the first thing that you want to do, is to import your old E-mail’s online.

I will show two easy methods to do a PST (Personal Storage Table) to OST (Offline Storage Table) migration.

Migrate *.pst to *.ost – method 1 – copy-paste

• go to File – Account Settings – Account Settings – click on Data FilesAdd – add your *.pst file;
    • after you add that file, just copy-paste all folder into the new *.ost file.

Migrate *.pst to *.ost – method 2 – import

• go to File – Open – Import;
    • click on Import from another program or file;

•  click on Outlook Data File (.pst);

•  browse for the *.pst file and then click on Next;

• at this step make sure that Include subfolders option is checked;
    • here you can choose to import all items into the current folder (if you are positioned on a certain folder) or to import items into the same folder in the ost file (keep the original folder structure).

•  the import operation is started and all folders and subfolders are copied.

Now, all folders, subfolders, E-mails, tasks, calendar items, etc. are copied in the cloud (in Exchange).