Latest update causes all Office apps to crash on File tab (backstage view)

This question is answered This question is answered

So I'm not entirely sure if this is the latest Windows updates or the latest (this week's) Office 365 update, but now on one PC Office crashes if you click the File tab in any application. Quick repair didn't fix this. Full Online repair didn't fix this. Now I'm going to try a full uninstall and reinstall. So far just one PC is having this issue, but only a handful of machines has done all this weeks' updates in Windows and Office (this one had). Anyone else seeing this?

It happens in Excel, Word, Outlook, OneNote. Sometimes it crashes right on the File tab click, sometimes when you click Save or Open, and always crashes if you try to click the Office Account choice.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • I have encountered two clients with the same error. In this case it was a Windows 7 Pro with Office365 x64.

I performed the following steps with success in this case (these steps from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2770432):

Open an administrative command prompt, then run one of the next two commands based on your version:

For an Office installation in a 32-bit version of Windows:

cd %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX86

For an Office installation in a 64-bit version of Windows:

cd %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64

Then run the following command:

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=15.0.4623.1003

When the repair dialog box appears, click Online Repair, then Click Repair, and then click Repair again. (mine didnt ask for this, it just started the repair on its own). 

The last command rolls back the office suite to before the July updates essentially (here is the list of verions: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/office-2013-click-to-run?wa=wsignin1.0). Once that completed i opened and confirmed the programs were all back to working. Once it was confirmed working i also disabled the automatic updates for now. 

To do this, click on File, go down to account, click on office updates and choose to disable or not apply them automatically. I plan to re-enable them and test after the next round of updates or after a better solution is found since running un-updated poses security issues.

Hopefully this helps some others out as well.

4 out of 4 people found this post helpful.

• Hi All,

Understand on the inconvenience caused on the earlier updates. A new release is out now. The issues that you encountered is now fixed. Please refer to the article below for more information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2883052

Regards,

Chee Loon

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Okay, now it's serious. Just used the Office FIXIT to completely remove Office 365 and reboot. Then did a clean reinstall of Office. Same issues, Office is completely unstable, all the apps are crashing in MSO.DLL. Everything is unusable. So now it appears that at least one of this week's Windows 8.1 updates has caused an incompatibility. If this happens to more than one user I am in HUGE trouble. The only thing changed on this machine is the patch Tuesday updates and now the latest Office install (sorry--I can't tell you the build number since it crashes every single time you click the FILE tab).

• The programs launch in Safe mode (/safe) but there are no addins apart from the OneNote addins. It looks like one of the file system location providers (OneNote, OneNote for Business/SharePoint) are causing the crash in MSO.DLL. Without these in the FILE tab it doesn't crash, with them it crashes every time.

• Tried System Restore at various points over the last week, of course that failed when I needed it most. Tried logging in to an alternate system, Word opens and runs just fine, so it's not tied to the profile. It looks like the File/Explore open, save, etc. in MSO.DLL is broken. Ran SFC, System Restore, Reinstall FixIt, nothing has worked.

• Hi CurtFLC,

I appreciate such detailed information you have provided and the efforts in troubleshooting the issue in multiple ways.
    After some research, I find some related threads from recently in the Office Community as below:
    Word, excel have stopped working after latest update
    after installation, Word and Excel shows "... has stopped working" when open an existing or new file

Based on the description, the issue is related to the Office client. Since we have limited resources about the Office applications in the Office 365 community, to ensure you get the dedicated support, I suggest you post the question in the Office applications forum for further assistance. The support engineers who are specialized in the Office applications in that forum will assist you further. We appreciate your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Charles

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• I see Curt has had many issues with OFFICE and now with his computer.  I do not find that helpful as finding a workable solution.  

I am having issue with all my OFFICE 365 applications that are on my desktop -- since last update/upgrade MS did -- NONE of the programs work for OFFICE 365 and I pay for E4 monthly.  My issue has been over 24+ hours in attempting to resolve.  I have downloaded everything MS suggested on the OFFICE 365 tech side; with no real answer or remedy.  So please explain a workable solution as I can NOT afford a crash of any type as I am a student and I also run AUTOCAD (currently - no issue with that); nor problems with any other program (hi-tech and/or gaming) on my system.  Yes, MY OS is WINDOWS 8.1PRO 64 bit.  

I am finding that some of the office programs NO LONGER work with my windows version - which is ridiculous; such as ONE DRIVE.  

I, too, am NOT a happy camper !!!!

Thank you for your courtesy.

Respectfully,

KBroz

• In addition to @CurtFLC description of the error - exactly the same effect if you click on your account name (top right of the client windows) - crashed as with clicking on File.

Yesterday I make full repair as KBroz, O365 asked me for another authorization after it, and it worked for about one day. Today crashed same way. Again full repair from control panel, but now no authorization request - and without it above didn't help. However, just my guess.

While Office community on another forum is trying to find what's wrong with mso.dll after the latest updates, perhaps O365 support here could advise what is the easiest way for O365 re-authorization? More exactly, I have O365ProPlus.

It looks like so far that's the only way to push O365 clients to work, at least for some while.

Thanks,

Sergei

• Charles--thank you for the response, unfortunately neither of those links is what I am experiencing. In fact, over in the Office forum it looks like they haven't fixed those either. This seems like one of the Office add-ins for the Microsoft Account or cloud services. Anything that 'touches' the MS Account info crashes the apps. A few things:

1. Completely removing/reinstalling (with the FixIt) does not solve the issue. Both Quick and Online repairs fail.

2. The account works on other physical PC's

3. Running in /safe mode alleviates the issue--but then you can't get to OneDrive for Business to open documents and the programs are mostly worthless in this reduced functionality mode.

4. All apps crash when touching the Account settings:

Word Crashes on File - New, Open, Save As, or clicking the Account drop down at the top right corner of an app

Excel crashes in the same places as Word

OneNote crashes in the same places

Outlook crashes right when you click the FILE tab. This makes sense as 'account info' is on the default first tab.

It seems to be that every Office app that touches anyplace that connects to Account crashes (event viewer reports the .EXE files crashing in MSO.DLL).

5. I have scoured the PC for MSO.DLL, it does not appear to be on the machine (is this somehow related to how Office is installed?)

6. There are NO add-ins apart from the MS supplied ones loading in any app--the ones that are look like they are needed for things to function correctly.

An example of a Word Crash:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 15.0.4631.1000, time stamp: 0x5396ace5

Faulting module name: mso.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x53acd069

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000329c

Faulting process id: 0x1bf4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf9c956435243b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\WINWORD.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office15\mso.dll

Report Id: a6056155-0888-11e4-8291-000272c8ea27

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Strangely, MSO.DLL is not at that location. The MSO.DLL file is no where to be found on disk.

This is not a run of the mill crash, something in the update process has wrecked the install and it seems connected directly to the MS Account function. I have seen references to the fact this may be a rights issue in the registry or corrupt keys, but I have no idea where to look. Since complete removal doesn't seem to work, I am getting very nervous that any other of my users may hit this (most of my users machines will apply updates this weekend). It completely destroys an employee's ability to work--if you guys are going to really do 'Office as a Service' you need to understand the concept that your software is an extension of that and lots of us depend on it as a mission critical service.

I'm perfectly willing to work at diagnosing the problem (I've done quite a bit already), but this is an app crash, after your last update, with no way to roll back, and pushing me over into the generic Office forums where there is no solution and re-explaining this over and over and having everyone say 'try safe mode' and 'did you try the Repair?' is almost insulting. Our business relies on your software. Believe me, I research problems pretty thoroughly before I bring it up here. Our last problem turned out to indeed be a serious regression bug we uncovered that had to be fixed in the software. Jumping around all over the place in umpteen different forums asking over and over doesn't seem like the right approach.

I guess I can burn one of my support incidents on fixing what it clearly a bug either in the update or interaction with the latest security patches--if this became widespread at my company it would shut us down. I was saving those for really complicated problems like Hybrid Deployment but okay. I really do understand that nothing is perfect and this is all very complicated, but this does not appear to be a simple app crash.

Okay, end of my rambling. I really do appreciate the help, sorry if I sound frustrated.

2 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• Curt, fantastic!!! I only may confirm every your word for my x64 version.

• I am able to confirm the exact behavior in an Office 2013 environment.  We have only h=patched a few computers in our test group.  Am waiting to release the patch to 4000 machines.  I too did a full uninstall and reinstall with no change.  Was able to do a system restore and it fixed the issue.  Problem returned after updates ran again.  WIll now do a system restore and try the updates one at a time to se which is causing my issue.

• I have encountered two clients with the same error. In this case it was a Windows 7 Pro with Office365 x64.

I performed the following steps with success in this case (these steps from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2770432):

Open an administrative command prompt, then run one of the next two commands based on your version:

For an Office installation in a 32-bit version of Windows:

cd %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX86

For an Office installation in a 64-bit version of Windows:

cd %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64

Then run the following command:

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=15.0.4623.1003

When the repair dialog box appears, click Online Repair, then Click Repair, and then click Repair again. (mine didnt ask for this, it just started the repair on its own). 

The last command rolls back the office suite to before the July updates essentially (here is the list of verions: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/office-2013-click-to-run?wa=wsignin1.0). Once that completed i opened and confirmed the programs were all back to working. Once it was confirmed working i also disabled the automatic updates for now. 

To do this, click on File, go down to account, click on office updates and choose to disable or not apply them automatically. I plan to re-enable them and test after the next round of updates or after a better solution is found since running un-updated poses security issues.

Hopefully this helps some others out as well.

4 out of 4 people found this post helpful.

• SWEET! This worked perfectly, it restored the functionality to all Office apps perfectly. I've disabled automatic updates to prevent getting smacked down again. Will have to try next time there are updates to see if this is fixed. You saved the day! Had no idea you could roll back, this is definitely going in to my support notes. Thanks again, now I get to do all those Excel reports I'd put off :-).

• I too experienced this in an Office 2013 environment.  I uninstalled update KB2880987 and I was back to normal.  THere were two updates i had to uninstall with this KB number.  I had to disable automatic updates too becuase it kept re-installing after rebooting.  Hope this helps you too!

2 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• I've two Win Pro 8.1 x64 systems with Office 2013 Pro x86.  

Searched for and found KB2880987 on the system that was experiencing this same crashing behavior as described, removed both, ignored first reboot, rebooted after 2nd uninstall.  Life is bearable again.

The 2nd system, does not get updates on the regular, and it was not experiencing this issue.  Searched for KB2880987 on it, and it was not installed.

Thank you Randy3005 for posting your fix.

I did not do the perform any of the additional fixes as discussed in this thread.  Glad I read the while thread to find this simple fix, rather than attempt the other fixes listed here first.

Stephen

• btomjack, you are my hero.

• Thanks to all.

Yes the uninstall of KB2880987 Office update fixed the problem in Win 8.1 32 bit.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.