No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Read Receipt Time & Date Stamps are not in sync

This question is not answered This question is not answered

My group is new to Office 2010 pro plus.  We use Microsoft 365 Exchange hosted by Microsoft.  When some of our users send mail with a read receipt request, the reply that comes back has no relation to our time zone(s).  See example below;

Your message

To:
   Subject: What would you do with 1 Million email contacts?
   Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 8:42:41 PM (UTC) Monrovia, Reykjavik

was read on Friday, February 10, 2012 8:42:09 PM (UTC) Monrovia, Reykjavik.

This message was sent from US Eastern Time Zone at approximately 4PM.  I checked the time in Outlook 2010, the system time on the machine itself.  All report accurate time and date.

Any ideas where this comes from?  How to correct it?  It really plays havoc with receipts held for accountability.

All Replies
  • Hi Docmail,

The time in the read recipient is bound to the time zone on Exchange servers, which is UTC.

Please understand Office 365 is a multi-tenants environment, so the server time will not be changed along with the setting in one tenant. It’s not related to the client settings or Office 365 tenant setting, and cannot be changed at current time.

I understand the inconvenience for you to use the read recipient feature. I would suggest you submit your requirement and concern through feedback, your feedback will be helpful to improve Office 365 product.

Thanks,
    Lester Zhang

• This is not correct,  the time in read receipts are bound to the time zone setting of the user mailbox

if the user is using OWA.  You can check the setting by running the following command on the user

mailbox that is receiving the email ( sending the receipt )

Get-MailboxRegionalConfiguration  <recipient alias>

When a user logs into OWA for the first time they are prompted to select their Time Zone, if

they don't select the correct time zone, it will be left as the default time zone of (UTC)‎ Monrovia, Reykjavik