No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Domain Redirection.

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi, is there a simple way to redirect my domain to a different site?

thanks in advance,

Phil

All Replies
  • Phil,

Take a look at/click this:  Send Me to a Different WebPage

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Phil,

Before moving on, I’d like to confirm that you want to use your own domain to redirect to an external website, is that right?

Generally, to redirect the public website to elsewhere, you can create a CNAME or A record at your DNS registrar.

If you use O365 P1 plan,please refer to the link below:
    Host your website with another provider
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/domains_in_office_365/host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx

If I misunderstand anything, please feel free to let me know.

@WebBuilder, thanks for your information.

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan
  • Hi Phil,

How are things going now?
    Did the above reply answer your question?

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan

• Here's what I want to do:

I already use (and love) my email addresses (email@livingstoryPHOTOGRAPHY.com) - capitalization mine for emphasis.

AND I want to use my OTHER website, already functioning, www.livingstoryPHOTO.com - this is an external site (note the difference, one is email@livingstoryPHOTOGRAPHY.com for emails, the other is www.livingstoryPHOTO.com, a website.)

I do not use or advertise www.livingstoryPHOTOGRAPHY.com, but occasionally someone does go there based on my email address. When they do go to www.livingstoryPHOTOGRAPHY.com, I want them to land at www.livingstoryPHOTO.com.

How is this done?

Currently all I have is link at www.livingstoryPHOTOGRAPHY.com to tell visitors to go to www.livingstoryPHOTO.com. I would love for this to be more transparent. How is this done?

Thank you in advance,

Phil

• The best way is to add a server side 301 redirect (permanently moved) to the domain you use for email. Anyone who enters that domain will instantly go to your website. You should talk to your domain registrar/web designer about how to do that. Hopefully you don't host the domain at 365 which will complicate things.  Other options are client side functions like a meta refresh or javascript redirect but it's best to do this right on the server.  
  • Hi Phil,

I'd like to follow up this thread, do you need more assistant?

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan

• I believe my email (names@livingstoryPHOTOGRAPHY.com) is hosted by office365.

I know that my website (www.livingstoryPHOTO.com) is hosted by another vendor.

So how would I get this done?

• I'd change the nameservers for the email domain back to your registrar's and add the Exchange MX dns record there. Then ask your registrar how to do a 301 redirect to send web site traffic to your web site.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Yes I need more assistance. I would really like to speak with someone by phone. Is this possible?

• Hi Phil316,

As I understand, you use O365 P1 plan and now you are hosting your DNS through Microsoft's Name Servers. Generally, to redirect the public website to elsewhere, you can create a CNAME or A record at DNS hosting provider. 
    For details , please refer to the link below:
    Host your website with another provider
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/domains_in_office_365/host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx 

In addition, Office 365 P1 plan only have forum support for technical issues.

@MCH, thanks for your information.

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan
  • Hi Phil316,

How are things going now?
    I'd like to follow up this thread, do you need more assistant?

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan