No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Not pointing to original website and Host and CName Already Exists and will not let me Edit

This question is answered This question is answered
I am going through the process of moving our website from Windows Live to Office 365.  The domain has been verified.  When I try and add a DNS record for a host with @ and IP address, however it will not let me because one exists.  Then to top it off, it will not let me Edit so I can delete or change it......so it is pointing to your IP address rather than my original IP address.  Please let me know how to resolve this. 
Verified Answer
  • Hello Morjoe,

Before troubleshooting the issue, I would like to confirm the current situation first.
    You have moved the custom domain from Office Live Small Business to Office 365 and pointed the name server records to Office 365. Moreover, you have clicked Change Address to change the SharePoint Online public-facing website address. Now, you want to point the website back to the previous OLSB website. Is it correct?

If so, the issue may be caused that since the SharePoint Online public-facing website address has been changed, the A record and the www CNAME record are added automatically and cannot be modified at Office 365 DNS manager. 
    However, based on my experience, in some situation, if you change the SharePoint Online public-facing website address back and manually add the A record to point to the previous OLSB website, it may not work.

Based on the current situation, if you need to move the website from OLSB to Office 365, please refer to the following article to move the contents of the previous OLSB website to Office 365 website and keep the current situation.
    http://ask.officelive.com/smallbusiness/wiki/articles/step-4-move-your-website-to-office-365.aspx 
    Moreover, if you need assistance on OLSB side, please feel free to contact the latest OLSB support.
    https://support.smallbusiness.officelive.com/default.aspx?&st=1&wfxredirect=1

In addition, if you need to use other website service with the custom domain, please change the SharePoint Online public-facing website address back to the default one and refer to the following article.
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh335299.aspx

Best regards,
    Claud

• Hello Morjoe,

Have you pointed the name server records to Office 365 yet and changed the SharePoint website address?

If so, please refer to the following steps.
    1. Change the SharePoint Online public-facing website address back to the default one (something like domain.sharepoint.com) via clicking Change Address.
    For tips, based on my experience, it may take up to 24 hours to finish the website address change.
    2. Add the corresponding A record for pointing the other website service at Office 365 DNS manager.
    If I misunderstand the issue, please feel free to provide the detailed information about the issue, such as some screen shots.

In addition, do you want to point to the previous OLSB website? It is very important, since the OLSB website cannot be access after April 30, 2012. As a result, if the you are using OLSB website with the custom domain, you need to manually move the contents of the previous OLSB website to Office 365 website.

Best regards,
    Claud

All Replies
  • Hello Morjoe,

Before troubleshooting the issue, I would like to confirm the current situation first.
    You have moved the custom domain from Office Live Small Business to Office 365 and pointed the name server records to Office 365. Moreover, you have clicked Change Address to change the SharePoint Online public-facing website address. Now, you want to point the website back to the previous OLSB website. Is it correct?

If so, the issue may be caused that since the SharePoint Online public-facing website address has been changed, the A record and the www CNAME record are added automatically and cannot be modified at Office 365 DNS manager. 
    However, based on my experience, in some situation, if you change the SharePoint Online public-facing website address back and manually add the A record to point to the previous OLSB website, it may not work.

Based on the current situation, if you need to move the website from OLSB to Office 365, please refer to the following article to move the contents of the previous OLSB website to Office 365 website and keep the current situation.
    http://ask.officelive.com/smallbusiness/wiki/articles/step-4-move-your-website-to-office-365.aspx 
    Moreover, if you need assistance on OLSB side, please feel free to contact the latest OLSB support.
    https://support.smallbusiness.officelive.com/default.aspx?&st=1&wfxredirect=1

In addition, if you need to use other website service with the custom domain, please change the SharePoint Online public-facing website address back to the default one and refer to the following article.
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh335299.aspx

Best regards,
    Claud

• Hello Morjoe,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Claud,

Like many other users, I too am getting the message below when I try to complete Step 2:

For your website to continue to work, we need to create a DNS record for the host name www, but it looks like one is already there. Before you can go on, you'll need to delete the existing CNAME record for the www host name. Or you can use a different host name instead.

I have gone through the transition process from OLSB a few weeks ago but didn't get a chance to finish up until this weekend.

When I look at the DNS record in Office365, I get the following:

CNAME   www    prodnet17.sharepointonline.com   300 seconds

My domain, DOORSNJ.Org is registered at Network Solutions. All the CNAME records there are blank.

How can I complete the process?

• Hi Mike,

If you have changed the name server records to Office 365 name servers, there will be no need to add any additional DNS records for your domain yourself, and all the necessary DNS records will be automatically created by system.

In addition, based on my querying, your domain <DOORSNJ.Org> has been configured successfully in Office 365, and I can access your public website through www.DOORSNJ.Org now.

If there is any other questions, please feel free to post back.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Thank you Reken.

Yes, the records are correct and both www.doorsnj.org and doorsnj.org resolve correctly.

That's what makes the problem all the more confusing as I try to complete Step 2 of the Setup process.

I start Step 2 and use the fully qualified domain name www.doorsnj.org. I click Next and get this response:

"Great, this is the right fully qualified domain name."

I click Next again to move to the next task and the following error appears in a pop-up window:

"The host name we need to add already exists

For your website to continue to work, we need to create a DNS record for the host name www, but it looks like one is already there. Before you can go on, you'll need to delete the existing CNAME record for the www host name. Or you can use a different host name instead."

Without getting past this step, I can't set up email.

I can edit CNAME records at the registrar, Network Solutions, but as far as I can tell, not on Office365.

I'm eager to proceed with the email setup.

Thanks,

Mike

• Reken,

Evan Zhang provided a solution to the "delete the existing CNAME" problem in Step 2 in this thread:

community.office365.com/.../154396.aspx

Thank you for your help.

• Hi Mike,

I am glad to hear the issue has been resolved in another thread. Thanks for your posting it here.

Best Regards,
    Reken Liu

• Again, there is already a @  with an IP address.....not the IP address that had my original created website but that is the IP address that hosts a site for a creation of website.  I really do not want to start over from scratch!

• YES I still need help

• Hello Morjoe,

Have you pointed the name server records to Office 365 yet and changed the SharePoint website address?

If so, please refer to the following steps.
    1. Change the SharePoint Online public-facing website address back to the default one (something like domain.sharepoint.com) via clicking Change Address.
    For tips, based on my experience, it may take up to 24 hours to finish the website address change.
    2. Add the corresponding A record for pointing the other website service at Office 365 DNS manager.
    If I misunderstand the issue, please feel free to provide the detailed information about the issue, such as some screen shots.

In addition, do you want to point to the previous OLSB website? It is very important, since the OLSB website cannot be access after April 30, 2012. As a result, if the you are using OLSB website with the custom domain, you need to manually move the contents of the previous OLSB website to Office 365 website.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Hello Morjoe,

I'm writing to follow up my previous reply. 
    If you need further assistant on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,
    Claud