Can't install anything-Office365 says I have Office XP but I have Office 2010 installed

This question is answered This question is answered

I can't get Office 365 to install. I get the message "Your PC requires some updates," and it shows the following:

• Windows 7 Professional (compatible)
  • Microsoft Office XP (incompatible)
  • Firefox (Compatible)

I am running Office 2010, not Office XP (is there such a thing as Office XP?)

Also, when I run Lync setup for my 64-bit Windows system it disappears and does not install.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your post. First question : Generally speaking, once we start running “Office365 desktop apps”, the application will scan all the system situation and configuration. For the description of the first question, the “desktop apps” application found there are some related to Office XP. I’d like you can check the Control Panel\Programs to ensure that there is no component is associated with Office XP.

In case, after you tried all the steps above and still no luck, I would share with you a documents about the “Office365 desktop apps” do. By reading this, we can setup the Office2010 manually. onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637585.aspx

For most situation of the second question, we’ll suggest you can temporary close the anti-virus tools and re-download the Lync client from the address below and retry.

For x32 bit Operating System: c2r.microsoft.com/.../LyncSetup.exe  

For x64 bit Operating System: c2r.microsoft.com/.../LyncSetup.exe  

Best Regards

Neo Zhu

• Hi Tom,

I'm glad hear that the "desktop apps" is been successfully setup. If the Windows updating service shows "there is nothing need to update",you can safe ignore the message and continue to the next step.

For the secound question Lync installation issue, it could be related to appilcation conflict. However, I'd like you try to un-install the application and install again via the URL address I mentioned.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

All Replies
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your post. First question : Generally speaking, once we start running “Office365 desktop apps”, the application will scan all the system situation and configuration. For the description of the first question, the “desktop apps” application found there are some related to Office XP. I’d like you can check the Control Panel\Programs to ensure that there is no component is associated with Office XP.

In case, after you tried all the steps above and still no luck, I would share with you a documents about the “Office365 desktop apps” do. By reading this, we can setup the Office2010 manually. onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637585.aspx

For most situation of the second question, we’ll suggest you can temporary close the anti-virus tools and re-download the Lync client from the address below and retry.

For x32 bit Operating System: c2r.microsoft.com/.../LyncSetup.exe  

For x64 bit Operating System: c2r.microsoft.com/.../LyncSetup.exe  

Best Regards

Neo Zhu

• Hi Tom,

How is everything going? Do you have any updates about the status of the issue?

Thanks,

Neo Zhu

• I was able to get setup_en.exe to complete by uninstalling MS Project 2002. It now tells me that my system is up to date, but it doesn't do anything else. Is it supposed to?

As for LyncSetup, it still just disappears when I run it. I.e., nothing at all happens.

In addition to Office 2010, I also have some other Microsoft programs: Microsoft Easy Assist v2, Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies, Microsoft Office Office Visio Professional 2007, Microsoft Security Essentials, MSXML 4.0SP2, and several Microsoft Visual C++ programs. Could any of them be causing the problems?

• PS: I'm just a user who has Office 2010 running on my home office computer (Windows 7 on an iMac running Bootcamp.) The manual install instructions are a bit out of my league.

• Hi Tom,

I'm glad hear that the "desktop apps" is been successfully setup. If the Windows updating service shows "there is nothing need to update",you can safe ignore the message and continue to the next step.

For the secound question Lync installation issue, it could be related to appilcation conflict. However, I'd like you try to un-install the application and install again via the URL address I mentioned.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Hi Tom,

How are you? I just want to ensure you didn't encounter any trouble during the troubleshooting. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu