E4 subscription and existing on-premise Lync Server

This question is answered This question is answered

Hello,

Currently we have an on-premise Lync Server and clients with Enterprise plus licenses.

We want to move part of the users to Office 365.

a couple of questions just to make sure:

• Are the Office365 users with an E4 subscription licensed to use the existing on-premise Lync Server?
  • Do the Office365 users with an E4 subscription will have the same Lync capabilities as the on-premise users with the Ent-plus license?

Are there other things to take into consideration?

Regards,

Erik

Verified Answer
  • Hi Erik,

Based on the description, it's a sales-related case. For the question you mentioned, I'd like you can directly call our sales and billing team via g.microsoftonline.com/.../280

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Snijdor-- hope all is well...

To add to the above resonse -- here's a summary of options for using Lync Voice as a PBX replacement with Office 365.  For your question above - please see #2 below.  I.e., E4 provides the Lync "plus" / voice CALs - no actual functionality differences vs. E3.

1.  First - while MSFT has "some" voice services coming in the near-term roadmap, the features/functionaliy are not comparable to a full implementation Lync Voice and the Office 365 offering is not positioned as a PBX replacement as the full Lync 2010 product is.  

Now - on to more description of how Lync voice with Office 365 works.  All Lync services move out of O365's datacenters into yours (if on-premise) or partner datacenter (if using hosted) -- i.e., no splitting of Lync workloads &/or sharing of SIP domains. If you have a use case for some users on Lync online & some on Lync voice -- you'll need two SIP domains & use federation to provide the "in-org" collaboration experience.  And, existing phone numbers can be ported to the new Lync voice system &/or use a combination of new/existing numbers.

2.  Pricing -- the E4 subscription provides the required Lync voice licensing. The Lync Voice licensing components of E4 are comparable to the traditional Lync Std, Ent & Plus CALs.  Further -- E3 is comparable to Lync Std & Ent CALs.  For customers that may already have Lync Std, Ent & Plus CALs (w/Software Assurance) -- you have additional flexibilty in terms of credit into the O365 plans &/or using "license mobility" benefits to host in partner datacenters.

With a partner hosted approach you will also have hosting fees and SIP Trunking/PSTN access/call usage fees in the $20-40 range per user/mo -- typically this is also going to provide all maintenance/support -- pricing can be in the $20s if using pay as you go minutes or more in the $30-$40 range if using unlimited call packages.  If using on-premise -- hw pricing varies depending on architecture, balance of physical/virtual, use of servers or appliances.  Add another variable with consulting services -- depending on how much you can handle yourself vs. outsource.  And -- you'll still need SIP trunking/PSTN access -- depending on call usage/incoming calls -- you're likely in the $10-15/user/mo or much higher depending on call usage (pricing varies depending on rate for SIP Trunks & per minute outbound calls).  Note -- we typically find the ROI / TCO tilts toward hosted models as its challenging for many IT shops to replicate the ops/cost model of a hosting provider.

3.  Pricing #2 -- Lync Phones/devices run in the mid 200s for top of the line IP phones, low hundreds for usb phones, >50 for headsets.  Lots of options/variance here.

4.  Exchange integration --- In MSFT's UC solution -- Lync is im/presence, conferencing & voice, Exchange is voicemail.  In an E4 scenario --- Exchange stays on O365 & you can leverage Exchange Online's Unified Messaging service for voicemail (& autoattendant) services.  The integration model is the same/similar whether Lync voice is on-premise or partner hosted (I say "similar" if the hosted Lync voice is mulit-tenant vs. private cloud).

5.  Sign on -- if you use the O365 ADFS/SSO service -- you can tie in Lync sign on to this.  If you use O365's sign-on, Lync users can have the same sign on, but will have a separately managed password.  That being said -- there are many options here to provide an SSO experience.

Feel free to drop me a line and I can help answer more questions and help you with options.

David Bleecker

david@bleecker.net

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi Erik,

Based on the description, it's a sales-related case. For the question you mentioned, I'd like you can directly call our sales and billing team via g.microsoftonline.com/.../280

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Snijdor-- hope all is well...

To add to the above resonse -- here's a summary of options for using Lync Voice as a PBX replacement with Office 365.  For your question above - please see #2 below.  I.e., E4 provides the Lync "plus" / voice CALs - no actual functionality differences vs. E3.

1.  First - while MSFT has "some" voice services coming in the near-term roadmap, the features/functionaliy are not comparable to a full implementation Lync Voice and the Office 365 offering is not positioned as a PBX replacement as the full Lync 2010 product is.  

Now - on to more description of how Lync voice with Office 365 works.  All Lync services move out of O365's datacenters into yours (if on-premise) or partner datacenter (if using hosted) -- i.e., no splitting of Lync workloads &/or sharing of SIP domains. If you have a use case for some users on Lync online & some on Lync voice -- you'll need two SIP domains & use federation to provide the "in-org" collaboration experience.  And, existing phone numbers can be ported to the new Lync voice system &/or use a combination of new/existing numbers.

2.  Pricing -- the E4 subscription provides the required Lync voice licensing. The Lync Voice licensing components of E4 are comparable to the traditional Lync Std, Ent & Plus CALs.  Further -- E3 is comparable to Lync Std & Ent CALs.  For customers that may already have Lync Std, Ent & Plus CALs (w/Software Assurance) -- you have additional flexibilty in terms of credit into the O365 plans &/or using "license mobility" benefits to host in partner datacenters.

With a partner hosted approach you will also have hosting fees and SIP Trunking/PSTN access/call usage fees in the $20-40 range per user/mo -- typically this is also going to provide all maintenance/support -- pricing can be in the $20s if using pay as you go minutes or more in the $30-$40 range if using unlimited call packages.  If using on-premise -- hw pricing varies depending on architecture, balance of physical/virtual, use of servers or appliances.  Add another variable with consulting services -- depending on how much you can handle yourself vs. outsource.  And -- you'll still need SIP trunking/PSTN access -- depending on call usage/incoming calls -- you're likely in the $10-15/user/mo or much higher depending on call usage (pricing varies depending on rate for SIP Trunks & per minute outbound calls).  Note -- we typically find the ROI / TCO tilts toward hosted models as its challenging for many IT shops to replicate the ops/cost model of a hosting provider.

3.  Pricing #2 -- Lync Phones/devices run in the mid 200s for top of the line IP phones, low hundreds for usb phones, >50 for headsets.  Lots of options/variance here.

4.  Exchange integration --- In MSFT's UC solution -- Lync is im/presence, conferencing & voice, Exchange is voicemail.  In an E4 scenario --- Exchange stays on O365 & you can leverage Exchange Online's Unified Messaging service for voicemail (& autoattendant) services.  The integration model is the same/similar whether Lync voice is on-premise or partner hosted (I say "similar" if the hosted Lync voice is mulit-tenant vs. private cloud).

5.  Sign on -- if you use the O365 ADFS/SSO service -- you can tie in Lync sign on to this.  If you use O365's sign-on, Lync users can have the same sign on, but will have a separately managed password.  That being said -- there are many options here to provide an SSO experience.

Feel free to drop me a line and I can help answer more questions and help you with options.

David Bleecker

david@bleecker.net

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• @David Thanks for sharing your experience.

@Erik, How are you? I'm writing in just want to ensure that all the information above is useful for you.

Thanks, Neo Zhu