Adding "public" contacts to lync?

This question is answered This question is answered

I'm trying to add Windows Live Messenger contacts to my Lync (Office 365) account. I've enabled "External communications" in the Lyncs online control panel, and for the individual user. When I try to add a user (by typing in the "find a contact" window it gets added as "presence unkown". If I try to send them a message I get

This message was not delivered to sample@mydomain.com because the address is outside of your organization and is not federated with your company, or the address is incorrect. Please contact your support team with this information.

Interestingly, if a Windows Live Messenger user add my Lync contact to their group list, I get the invite and can chit-chat with them. 

Also, is there any way to import a contact list?

Verified Answer
  • Hello kbar,

Currently, Public IM Connectivity only works with Windows Live users, which is why you were able to successfully communicate with these users.

At an unspecified date in the future (Post-GA) Additional Public IM services, such as AOL, Etc. are planned to be added.

Michael West

Support Engineer, Microsoft Office 365

All Replies
  • Hello kbar,

This usually crops up as a problem when your public IM connectivity isn't yet setup.  Go into your Lync Online settings and check the public IM option.  If you've enabled it for your domains it should give you a status.  If it says that it's still being enabled then you'll need to wait before it is fully usable.  Also, bear in mind that you'll need to use the domain federation controls to make sure that the domain you're trying to communicate with is allowed to communicate with you.  You can choose an open scenario, where everyone can communicate with you unless you block them, or a blocked scenario where you choose which domains are allowed to communicate with your company.

• Hello kbar,

Currently, Public IM Connectivity only works with Windows Live users, which is why you were able to successfully communicate with these users.

At an unspecified date in the future (Post-GA) Additional Public IM services, such as AOL, Etc. are planned to be added.

Michael West

Support Engineer, Microsoft Office 365

• I think this is some other issue as what is very confusing is, if someone attempts to add my Lync account (email address) to their Windows Live Messenger account it works just fine. I get a message on my Lyncs account that I user xyz@hotmail.com want to add me. If I accept the invitation all is well and we can IM. So there isn't a problem in communicating with external users.

However, as a Lyncs user if I attempt to add someone using Windows Live Messenger it doesn't work. The live messenger user doesn't get the invite, and their status on Lync remains as "Presence unknown".

On the "Lync Online Control Panel" I can see that "External communications settings" are "Enabled".  I don't see any way of adding finer controls for specific domains (and I want to enable all domains anyway).

• Hello

the way on how Lync is managing external user is a little bit different: it's like user(@domain)@msn.com (example: benoit(@live.com)@msn.com

• Thanks for the insight...

For those who was confused by this message, adding windows live user joe@sample.com should be added as "joe(sample.com)@msn.com" (no quotes). I was confused as there isn't an @ before the domain string, and @msn.com is the the name for Windows Live.  

• oups, sorry for my typing error :(

• What about trying to add people with microsoft.com suchas joey@microsoft.com we are trying to add our contacts from microsoft to our contacts list and it wont go. all settings have been set and are correct.

• how do you even enable external communications when i open lync there is not feature for that...so lost!

• Hi, I am also getting the same thing. I get the invitation thru the Microsoft Outlook Email from my Windows Live Messenger but whenever I go and accept it it says NO INVITATION. I am reading the thread and I'm confused how to configure the two accounts.

• This is not working for me.  I can't add someone from their Skype email / Live email.  Need help