No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync Federation and External,Communication all set up, now what?

This question is answered This question is answered
I have activated the above, so supposedly I can communicate with external contacts and users of live messanger, howmdo i do that? In lync, i only have pinned contacts and contacts from my address book. If I add someone whom i think has msn to my pinned contact, it does not show anything, sending a message fails. How do i add them? also, is it true my msn friends can add me in windows messanger? how?
Verified Answer
  • The problem is solved. The DNS details supplied by Microsoft is not the same format as all DNS formats. So supplying that information to the users may not always work. I got a microsoft engineer to look at it and even they are not familar, its a redhat linux system. SO the settings have to be set in a certain way.

I passed the parameters to my hosting and they have managed to get it into the system and it is working now.

All Replies
  • In the find a contact type the email address of a lync user to find them

For people to publically find you, this must be updated via the admin section, lync setting.  Go to external communications and activate.

• Hi Ronald,

What type of 365 account do you have as I have found this article which may shed some light.

support.microsoft.com/.../2597392

• e1 account, which i can activate public im

• OK, the missing Lync!

In lync type the email address of the person you wish to contact.  In the list right click on the person and select pin to frequent contacts or select and create a new list just below.  This will add them to your lync, the person on messenger should add you (works for me via the messenger download) using your lync email address.  Once done this should work.

• Hi row1,

I understand that you are using Office 365 E1 plan. Before moving on, I suggest you check the DNS records and firewall settings. Please refer to the following KB articles:

Automatic sign-in, domain federation, and other features do not work as expected in Lync Online when you use a custom domain in Office 365
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2566790

You cannot connect to Lync Online, or certain features do not work, because an on-premises firewall blocks the connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2409256

If the issue persists, I would like to confirm the following information for further research:

1. Check if you can add a contact who is using a Windows Live account as user@live.com, user@hotmail.com or user@msn.com.
    2. After you add the Windows Live contact, check whether the Windows Live Messenger user receives a invitation or not.

@Richard, thank you for your information.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Hi row1,

How is everything going? We’d appreciate an update on the status of the issue.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• its not working, i am waiting 24 hours tomtry again.

• Hi row1,

I understand that you will try to add Windows Live contacts again. If the issue persists, could you please provide the information which is required in my previous post?

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Hi row1,

Can you add Windows Live contacts now?

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• no it is not working. I want to confirm, in the lync, I just type the msn email in search bar, then the email comes up and status unknown, I dont see any place to add, only pin to favourite, so I usually send a message, and it says some error with the server. There dont seem to a button to request to add, so that the receipient can approve like msn does.

• Hi row1,

To add a Windows Live contact, please perform the following steps:

1. Open Lync, and, in the search box, type the Windows Live ID for the person that you want to add to your Contacts list.
    2. In the contact card that appears, click the plus sign (+).
    3. Select a contact group in which to place the contact. Also, you can create a new group at this time by typing the name beside the Add to New Group field.

By doing the steps above, the Windows Live Messenger user will receive an invitation.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Hi row1,

How are the things going? Do you need any further assistance on this issue?

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• if my problem is solved, i will update back here and share the issue. I know you guys may have KPIs to meet, but i am replying a lot of no, no, not yet, wait, rather than the actual issue.

• The problem is solved. The DNS details supplied by Microsoft is not the same format as all DNS formats. So supplying that information to the users may not always work. I got a microsoft engineer to look at it and even they are not familar, its a redhat linux system. SO the settings have to be set in a certain way.

I passed the parameters to my hosting and they have managed to get it into the system and it is working now.

• Hi row1,

I’m glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. Thank you for sharing the information with us.

Best regards,
    Mindy Pan