No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync Online interoperability with Exchange on Premise

This question is answered This question is answered

Hello,

I have Lync Online and an on premise Exchange 2007 server.  I'd like to know how I can configure Lync Online and/or Exchange 2007 server so that I can successfully schedule Lync Online meetings through Outlook.  Can someone please provide a set of instructions on how to configure this setup?  I would like to avoid (if possible) setting up ADFS 2.0 and DirSync.  Right now my Lync Online account user login is with the following domain "@companyname.onmicrosoft.com".  If I add my vanity domain to the MOP, would that at least get me started down the correct path to get Lync Online scheduling to work through Outlook that is connected to Exchange 2007 on prem?

Thanks in advance,

Paullijr17

Verified Answer
  • Hi Paullijr17,

I understand that you prefer to integrate Lync Online with your Exchange Server 2007. After integration, you prefer the user can schedule Online Meeting in Outlook.

To do so, you can refer the following steps:

Step 1. Configuring an on-premises Exchange organization
    Add the user's Lync Online SIP Address as an Exchange Proxy Address, so the Exchange server recognizes that the SIP Address is associated with the user's mailbox. Use one of the following methods on the on-premises Exchange server.

Exchange Management Console (EMC)
    Adding a SIP Address to an Exchange account through the EMC, is a very simple process and can be done by following these steps on the user's Exchange server:

1. Navigate to the Recipient Configuration > Mailbox node in the EMC.
    2. Select a user mailbox and then click Properties in the Actions pane. You cannot select multiple users in the Mailbox node and configure user properties.
    3. In the user's Properties dialog, click on the Email Addresses tab:
    4. Click Add > Custom Address
    5. Enter the user's Lync Online SIP Address in the E-mail address field and enter SIP in the Email type field. Click OK.
    6. After clicking OK, the SIP Address Proxy should be listed in the user's Properties dialog:
    7. Click OK to accept the changes and close the user's Properties dialog.

Exchange Management Shell (PowerShell)
    Run the following commands for each user, or include in a PowerShell script for multiple users, to add the SIP Address as an Exchange Proxy for the user.
    $proxies = (Get-Mailbox -Identity joe).EmailAddresses
    $proxies += "SIP:joe@contoso.com"
    Set-Mailbox -Identity joe -EmailAddresses:$proxies

Step 2. Configuring Lync Online in Office 365
    In a similar manner to populating the SIP Address in the on-premises Exchange organization, Lync Online also needs to know the e-mail address of the Lync Online user. Office 365 Directory synchronization is currently the only supported method of populating the MAIL attribute in an Office 365 Lync Online account.

The Office 365 tenant must use mail-enabled accounts synchronized from their on-premises Active Directory, and then license them for Lync Online. As long as the accounts are mail-enabled in the on-premises Exchange organization, the MAIL attribute will be populated and synchronized over to Office 365. If the accounts are not mail-enabled in the on-premises Exchange organization (such as a 3rd-party hosted e-mail solution), populating the MAIL attribute manually with ADSIEdit will synchronize the MAIL attribute to Office 365.

ADSIEdit

1. On a domain controller in the Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) site where Exchange is installed, start the Active Directory Service Interfaces Editor (ADSI Edit) tool. To do this, click Start, click Run, type ADSIEDIT.MSC in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Expand the Schema node.
    3. Locate the AD object for the user, and then select  the MAIL attribute.
    4. Click Edit.
    5. Enter the SIP Address for the value of the MAIL property.

Note: If the MAIL attribute is not populated, it may not show up in ADSIEdit if you have "Show only attributes that have values" selected. Uncheck that option to show empty values, and populate the e-mail address of the Exchange mailbox associated with the Lync Online user.

Step 3. Verifying Lync Online can AutoDiscover the on-premises Exchange Server
    To verify that the Autodiscover service for the user's on-premises Exchange server is active and returning the appropriate response, follow the steps listed below, or use the Exchange Remove Connectivity Analyzer at http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/, to verify the Autodiscover service is enabled and accesible for the on-premises Exchange organization:

1. Determine the user's email domain, which may be different than their Lync Online SIP Address. If their email address is Joe@sales.contoso.com, their email domain will be sales.contoso.com.
    2. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to the user's Exchange Autodiscover service. In this case: http://autodiscover.sales.contoso.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
    3. If prompted for credentials, enter the email address and password used to access the on-premises Exchange mailbox, not the Lync Online credentials.
    4. If the service is working properly, you should receive a response similar to the screenshot below:

Now that it's been verified that the Exchange Autodiscover service is working and accessible, verify that Lync Online has determined the correct on-premises Exchange EWS endpoint by looking at the Lync 2010 Configuration Information:

1. Hold down Control and right-click on the Lync 2010 icon in the taskbar.

2. In the window that pops up, look for the EWS (Exchange Web Service) Internal and External URL towards the bottom.

3. If the fields are blank, then Lync Online could not determine the location of the EWS service on the user's Exchange server. Check the EWS Status field for more information if the EWS URL's are blank.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Monica,

Yes this should address my inquiry.  We are testing this scenario out internally as well and will circle back with you if we run into any issues or discover another approach.

Thanks!

Paullijr17

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi Paullijr17,

I understand that you prefer to integrate Lync Online with your Exchange Server 2007. After integration, you prefer the user can schedule Online Meeting in Outlook.

To do so, you can refer the following steps:

Step 1. Configuring an on-premises Exchange organization
    Add the user's Lync Online SIP Address as an Exchange Proxy Address, so the Exchange server recognizes that the SIP Address is associated with the user's mailbox. Use one of the following methods on the on-premises Exchange server.

Exchange Management Console (EMC)
    Adding a SIP Address to an Exchange account through the EMC, is a very simple process and can be done by following these steps on the user's Exchange server:

1. Navigate to the Recipient Configuration > Mailbox node in the EMC.
    2. Select a user mailbox and then click Properties in the Actions pane. You cannot select multiple users in the Mailbox node and configure user properties.
    3. In the user's Properties dialog, click on the Email Addresses tab:
    4. Click Add > Custom Address
    5. Enter the user's Lync Online SIP Address in the E-mail address field and enter SIP in the Email type field. Click OK.
    6. After clicking OK, the SIP Address Proxy should be listed in the user's Properties dialog:
    7. Click OK to accept the changes and close the user's Properties dialog.

Exchange Management Shell (PowerShell)
    Run the following commands for each user, or include in a PowerShell script for multiple users, to add the SIP Address as an Exchange Proxy for the user.
    $proxies = (Get-Mailbox -Identity joe).EmailAddresses
    $proxies += "SIP:joe@contoso.com"
    Set-Mailbox -Identity joe -EmailAddresses:$proxies

Step 2. Configuring Lync Online in Office 365
    In a similar manner to populating the SIP Address in the on-premises Exchange organization, Lync Online also needs to know the e-mail address of the Lync Online user. Office 365 Directory synchronization is currently the only supported method of populating the MAIL attribute in an Office 365 Lync Online account.

The Office 365 tenant must use mail-enabled accounts synchronized from their on-premises Active Directory, and then license them for Lync Online. As long as the accounts are mail-enabled in the on-premises Exchange organization, the MAIL attribute will be populated and synchronized over to Office 365. If the accounts are not mail-enabled in the on-premises Exchange organization (such as a 3rd-party hosted e-mail solution), populating the MAIL attribute manually with ADSIEdit will synchronize the MAIL attribute to Office 365.

ADSIEdit

1. On a domain controller in the Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) site where Exchange is installed, start the Active Directory Service Interfaces Editor (ADSI Edit) tool. To do this, click Start, click Run, type ADSIEDIT.MSC in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Expand the Schema node.
    3. Locate the AD object for the user, and then select  the MAIL attribute.
    4. Click Edit.
    5. Enter the SIP Address for the value of the MAIL property.

Note: If the MAIL attribute is not populated, it may not show up in ADSIEdit if you have "Show only attributes that have values" selected. Uncheck that option to show empty values, and populate the e-mail address of the Exchange mailbox associated with the Lync Online user.

Step 3. Verifying Lync Online can AutoDiscover the on-premises Exchange Server
    To verify that the Autodiscover service for the user's on-premises Exchange server is active and returning the appropriate response, follow the steps listed below, or use the Exchange Remove Connectivity Analyzer at http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/, to verify the Autodiscover service is enabled and accesible for the on-premises Exchange organization:

1. Determine the user's email domain, which may be different than their Lync Online SIP Address. If their email address is Joe@sales.contoso.com, their email domain will be sales.contoso.com.
    2. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to the user's Exchange Autodiscover service. In this case: http://autodiscover.sales.contoso.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
    3. If prompted for credentials, enter the email address and password used to access the on-premises Exchange mailbox, not the Lync Online credentials.
    4. If the service is working properly, you should receive a response similar to the screenshot below:

Now that it's been verified that the Exchange Autodiscover service is working and accessible, verify that Lync Online has determined the correct on-premises Exchange EWS endpoint by looking at the Lync 2010 Configuration Information:

1. Hold down Control and right-click on the Lync 2010 icon in the taskbar.

2. In the window that pops up, look for the EWS (Exchange Web Service) Internal and External URL towards the bottom.

3. If the fields are blank, then Lync Online could not determine the location of the EWS service on the user's Exchange server. Check the EWS Status field for more information if the EWS URL's are blank.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Monica,

Thanks for this information.  I have a MSFT document that speaks to another approach that I'd like to get your take on.  May I email you or do you have another means of me sending you this document?

• Hi Paullijr17,

I understand that you have another method to achieve your goal. You can quota the key point and post it in the forum. If you have any question about the subject, you can provide detailed description.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Paullijr17,

I would like to follow up with the question you posted previously. How are things going?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Monica,

Here is the flow chart as dictated in the Microsoft documentation I have in front of me:

1).  Logon to the MOP as a global admin.  2).  Verify vanity domain with Office 365.  3).  Setup users within MOP using vanity domain  4).  Configure Lync Online settings  5).  Connect to the desktop (install Lync and run Office desktop setup)  6).  Connect any mobile devices to Office 365  7).  Confirm EWS is enabled in Exchange environment.

So basically the document states that once the vanity domain has been added and verified within the MOP and your DNS is configured to work with Lync Online, that on premise Exchange should integrate with Lync Online.  Where the document is very vague is the last step in the equation, which is to confirm EWS is enabled in Exchange environment.

Thoughts on this process?

Regards,

Paullijr17

• Hi Paullijr17,

Regarding Exchange Web Services (EWS) configuration, you can refer the Step 3 “Step 3. Verifying Lync Online can AutoDiscover the on-premises Exchange Server” in my first post replied on Post replied on 2012-Jun-05 12:04 PM to configure it.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Paullijr17,

I would like to follow up with the question you posted previously. Do you need any further assistance with this question?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Monica,

Yes this should address my inquiry.  We are testing this scenario out internally as well and will circle back with you if we run into any issues or discover another approach.

Thanks!

Paullijr17

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.