No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Problem with presence in Lync

This question is answered This question is answered
Hi I have just set up Office 365 for my company. Everything seems to work ok, except Lync presence. I have added a contact that has open federation and that is connected to multiple other contacts on Office 365 without problems. The problem for me is that I can see his presence in my Lync client an other applications, but on he's Lync I show as "Presence Unknown". I can send messages to him, but he can only reply to me. If he tries to start a conversation, it fails. I have checked all the DNS-settings and everything seems to be ok. I really hope someone can help me with this problem. Thanks in advance! Regards Thomas
Verified Answer
  • Hi MefjordBryggeAS,

Are you meaning the issue only affect you and one of your contacts? If so, I would like to confirm when you added this contact, which privacy relationship you had chosen for this contact? It sounds that one of you and your contact have chosen 'Blocked Contact' for the other. Please try to change the privacy relationship for the contact to see if there is any improvements.

For more information, please refer to Control access to your presence information.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

All Replies
  • Hi MefjordBryggeAS,

Are the Lync federation sides both Lync Online environment, or one Lync Online, one Lync on-premises 2010 server? Actually to configure Lync federation in Office 365, you need to enable the federation for both sides. Please ensure that the other side has also enabled federation for your domain.

In addition, here is an video for troubleshooting Lync federation issues for your reference:

VIDEO: Troubleshooting Domain Federation for Lync 

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi

Federation is activated in the Lync Online environment, and in the on-premises server (this server has open federation). The account in the on-premises server also has multiple other Lync Online accounts attached, and thay are working perfectly.

• Hi MefjordBryggeAS,

Are you meaning the issue only affect you and one of your contacts? If so, I would like to confirm when you added this contact, which privacy relationship you had chosen for this contact? It sounds that one of you and your contact have chosen 'Blocked Contact' for the other. Please try to change the privacy relationship for the contact to see if there is any improvements.

For more information, please refer to Control access to your presence information.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi MefjordBryggeAS,

Has the issue been resolved now? Please let us know if you need more assistance.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu