No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Unable to connect to Windows Live account

This question is answered This question is answered

I'm attempting to add a few Windows Live Messenger contacts to my Lync Online client (Office 365 E3 Plan), with mixed success.  Both Domain Federation and Public IM connectivity are enabled.

The issue: Some of the contacts appear to have issues after adding them as contacts. Here is the error message:

This message was not delivered to (contact name) because the address is outside of your organization and is not federated with your company, or the address is incorrect. Please contact your support team with this information.

One of the accounts receiving this email message is a gmail address registered as a Windows Live ID. 

Can anyone confirm that gmail accounts CAN be added as long as they have been registered as a Windows Live ID? And if so, can anyone provide guidance on best practices?

Thank you in advance!!!

Verified Answer
  • Hi Rob Schaper,

First, thanks for Robert Edward’s information.

I would like to explain that IM/presence/audio/video with Windows Live Messenger are supported by Lync Online. However, Public IM connectivity with AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and Yahoo! Messenger is not supported.

You can add a Windows Live Messenger user who is using one of the following domains as a contact directly. After your invitation is accepted by the Windows Live Messenger user, the contact will be available in Lync Contacts.

For detailed information, you can refer to the following articles:

1. Enable or disable Public IM Connectivity
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/hh416763.aspx

2. Microsoft Lync Online for Enterprises Service Description.docx which can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13602

To add a contact such as user@yahoo.com, please try to add user(yahoo.com)@msn.com, user(yahoo.com)@hotmail.com or user(yahoo.com)@live.com instead.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Hi Rob Schaper,

Thank you for your response.

To add non Hotmail or Live account contacts such as mindy@gmail.com, please try to add mindy(gmail.com)@msn.com, mindy(gmail.com)@hotmail.com or mindy(1234.com)@live.com instead. Based on my test, after the invitation is accepted, the contact will be available in Lync Contacts.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

All Replies
  • In addition, I have successfully added Hotmail accounts without any issues, but gmail and some others are not working (result is same error message as stated above).  I'm re-confirming the Windows Live ID status of the non-hotmail addresses being added, but please chime in if you have any thoughts.  Thanks again!

• T think even with the E plan, only MS e-mail will work correctly.

• I'm really hoping that is not true, as the documentation and online discussions seem to point to an option of connecting with any Windows Live ID associated emails, not restricting connectivity to MS provisioned emails with an MS domain (@hotmail.com, @msn.com).  If you have a link I could review for more information on this, I would appreciate it.  I know Yahoo messenger and other traditional MSN Messenger-like compatibilities are supposed to also work here in Lync Online.  Could my domain hosting with Office 365 be the problem?

Also, I wish there was a little more information on what is not supported when connecting with public IM accounts.  For example, Ive noticed I cannot screen share or make video calls with a contact using a Hotmail account Ive successfully connected to (I can see presence and use basic IM).

• Hi Rob Schaper,

First, thanks for Robert Edward’s information.

I would like to explain that IM/presence/audio/video with Windows Live Messenger are supported by Lync Online. However, Public IM connectivity with AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and Yahoo! Messenger is not supported.

You can add a Windows Live Messenger user who is using one of the following domains as a contact directly. After your invitation is accepted by the Windows Live Messenger user, the contact will be available in Lync Contacts.

For detailed information, you can refer to the following articles:

1. Enable or disable Public IM Connectivity
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/hh416763.aspx

2. Microsoft Lync Online for Enterprises Service Description.docx which can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13602

To add a contact such as user@yahoo.com, please try to add user(yahoo.com)@msn.com, user(yahoo.com)@hotmail.com or user(yahoo.com)@live.com instead.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Hi Mindy, thank you for responding.  My question is not in reference to Windows Live MSN Messenger, but rather ANY email address registered as a Windows Live ID associated email address (emailalias@anydomain.com).  Can I add name@gmail.com to my Lync Online contacts successfully if name@gmail.com has been assigned a Windows Live ID?

accountservices.passport.net/ppnetworkhome.srf

Thank you so much for your help!

• Hi Rob Schaper,

Thank you for your response.

To add non Hotmail or Live account contacts such as mindy@gmail.com, please try to add mindy(gmail.com)@msn.com, mindy(gmail.com)@hotmail.com or mindy(1234.com)@live.com instead. Based on my test, after the invitation is accepted, the contact will be available in Lync Contacts.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan