No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Adding SVR records

This question is answered This question is answered

I'm using a custom domain on Office 365, and am maintaining our public website with our current hosting company.  We receive an "unable to connect to server" message when we try sign on in Lync.  I checked my DNS records in the  DNS manager.  365 automatically generated the SRV record: _sipfederationtls record for the account,  however there is no SRV record for _sip listed under the domain management list.  How do I add this SRV record so link can work?  All of the CNAME records are there.

Thanks for your help!

Verified Answer
  • Hi AppRiver_DPetree, Jorge,

Thanks for your active participation in the forum.

Hi Beth,

When trying to log in Lync, if you are receiving the error message as "Cannot sign in because the server is temporarily unavailable.  If the problem continues, please contact your support team.", besides what AppRiver_DPetree and Jorge suggested, you could also try to test Lync Online by setting Lync 2010 to use manual configuration.

Here are the steps for you:

1.In the upper-right area of Lync 2010, click the Gear icon to open the Options page.

2.In the Lync - Options dialog box, click Personal.

3.Next to the sign-in address, click Advanced.

4.Make sure that Manual Configuration is selected and that the configuration values are exactly as follows:

◦Internal server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443

◦External server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

All Replies
  • You need to add 3 records

1. SRV record (_sipfederationtls) ((this is the only srv record))

2. Cname for sip.DOMAINNMAME points to sipdir.online.lync.com

3. CNAME for lyncdiscover.DOMAINNMAME points to webdir.online.lync.com

If you log into your portal, and click on domains, and click the radio button next to your domain, then click "View DNS records" you can see what you need to add.

hope this helps

• Hi Bdanderson,

Just as AppRiver_DPetree suggested, you need to add the three DNS records at your domain registrar for your domain to work with Office 365.

Additionally, I would like also to confirm if you are using Office 365 Enterprise version or Office 365 Small Business version.

For Office 365 Enterprise version, after your domain has been verified, you also need to add the following required DNS records to your domain registrar to use it with Office 365 Lync Online.

For Office 365 Small Business version, after your domain has been verified and you have changed the name server records at your domain name registrar, the DNS records would be configured automatically.

After the corresponding DNS records have been added, you could use the NSlookup command-line tool to check the SRV and CNAME records are correct to set.

For more information about it, please refer to the link below:

support.microsoft.com/.../2566790

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anna, Thanks.

We are using the Small Business Version.  Those 3 records were all added earlier and the name server records at our domain name registar have been changed as well.  I also checked our windows defender firewall and Lync is marked as an allowed program.  

When I use the NSlookup command-line tool to check the records using a public name server as your link suggested, here's what I get:

_sip._tls.wndsynod.org

primary name server = ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com

_sipfederationtls._tcp.wndsynod.org

primary name server = ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com

sip.wndsynod.org.

can't find sip.wndsynod.org. : Server failed

lyncdiscover.wndsynod.org.

can't find lyndiscover.wndsynod.org. : Server failed

I had originally used a trial version of Microsoft 365 for small business and set up lync using the default settings.  It worked fine then. Is it possible that those settings are still in the system?  Where would you suggest I go from here?

Another confusing element just arose.  I just added Lync to the computer of one of our staff members who does not have Outlook on her computer and Lync is working beautifully.  All other staff members use Outlook.  Could there be issues between Outlook and Lync with our custom domain that is complicating matters?

• Hi Bdanderson,

As you are using Office 365 Small Business version and the name server records have been changed at your domain registrar, generally, this issue would not be caused by DNS records. It is also not likely to be caused by using Outlook desktop.

Therefore, based on the current situation, I would like to confirm if you would receive any error messages when trying to sign in Lync 2010.

If so, please post it or any screen shot about it here for us to resolve the error accordingly.

You could also refer to the following link below for how to troubleshoot authentication and connectivity issues in Lync Online and see if it helps:

support.microsoft.com/.../2541980

Moreover, you may run Lync 2010 by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 to troubleshoot this issue.

For more information about it, please refer to the link below:

support.microsoft.com/.../929135

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Bdanderson,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days.

Please post back at your convenience if we can help further.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Anna,

When I attempt to sign in  I simply get a pop up box that says:

Cannot sign into Lync.

Cannot sign in because the server is temporarily unavailable.  If the problem continues, please contact your support team.

The problem is I am the support team. So I need to figure this out.  I am using the XP operating system, but others using Vista and Windows 7 are receiving the same message when they attempt to sign in.  

Thanks.

--Beth

• Bdanderson

Sounds like you have a local DNS server that the local machine is using and maybe your DNS records are not configured on there. You should try to change the DNS on that machine to your ISP's DNS servers and see if that fixes the issue.

You should also try to enable the Windows Event Error logs so you can look in the Event viewer to see what the actual error is.

• Very good point, if you have split DNS you need to add all the exernal records to your internal Zone as well.

• Thanks Jorge

Love your blogs, I'm a subscriber ;)

• Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoy them :)

• Hi AppRiver_DPetree, Jorge,

Thanks for your active participation in the forum.

Hi Beth,

When trying to log in Lync, if you are receiving the error message as "Cannot sign in because the server is temporarily unavailable.  If the problem continues, please contact your support team.", besides what AppRiver_DPetree and Jorge suggested, you could also try to test Lync Online by setting Lync 2010 to use manual configuration.

Here are the steps for you:

1.In the upper-right area of Lync 2010, click the Gear icon to open the Options page.

2.In the Lync - Options dialog box, click Personal.

3.Next to the sign-in address, click Advanced.

4.Make sure that Manual Configuration is selected and that the configuration values are exactly as follows:

◦Internal server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443

◦External server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Thank You, Anna!  That solved the problem immediately!