Some items cannot be deleted. They were either moved or already deleted or access was denied.

This question is answered This question is answered

I have 16112 items (5.11 gb worth) of emails in my Deleted Items mailbox that won't empty.  I have that many deleted messages because I had a gmail migration that missed a number of messages, so I deleted all messages to start over.  After I deleted the messages, the Deleted Items mailbox won't empty.

Everything was done using OWA in Office 365.  I've logged out, logged in, switched browsers, etc., all to no avail.  A screenshot of the problem is below.  There are numerous mentions of this problem with other versions of Exchange, but no mention of how to fix this in Office 365 OWA.  I also deleted my .ost file in Outlook 2010, so that has nothing to do with it.  In fact, I've not attempted to access my mail using Outlook 2010 since this occurred.

Does anyone know how to empty the Deleted Items for good so I can reclaim the 5.11 gb of space?  I've done the right click "empty this folder" command numerous times, along with clicking Empty on individual messages.  They always come back with the message above.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hello

can you try to purge your deleted items with Oultook with cache mode DISABLED?

sometimes, with cache mode there is this type of problem; disablig it temporarly usually solved the issue

All Replies
  • Hello

can you try to purge your deleted items with Oultook with cache mode DISABLED?

sometimes, with cache mode there is this type of problem; disablig it temporarly usually solved the issue