No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Cutover migration and shared mailboxes

This question is answered This question is answered

I've started a cutover migration and there are a few source mailboxes that are normal user mailboxes that need to be shared mailboxes in Office 365 so that they don't consume a license.

Even though we're still in the sychronisation phase I've changed the Office 365 mailboxes to type 'shared' and limited them to 5GB quotas (they're all less than that).  Unfortunately they are still listed in the custom view “Users with Exchange mailboxes or archives and no licenses” which suggests they require a license.

I've created a new test shared mailbox in Office 365 and it doesn't show up in this view.

What will happen after the migration is complete?  I'm worried that these mailboxes will be deleted at the end of the grace period as there are no licenses available for them.  As far as I can tell they meet the criteria for unlicensed shared mailboxes.  Is it just new shared mailboxes that are created in Office 365 (not migrated) that fulfil the criteria?  How do other people deal with this?

Where's the documentation for this?  I'm starting to get annoyed at the lack of detail in the Office 365 documentation...

Verified Answer
  • Hi Roland Paix,

I understand that you'd like to convert normal user mailbox to shared mailbox in Office 365. After you synced user mailbox to Office 365 and assigned license to this user, then please run the following cmd-let in the powershell:
    get-mailbox -identity user@domain.com | set-mailbox -type "Shared"

After doing the above steps, you need to release the O365 license by yourself after you changed one mailbox to a shared mailbox.

Please feel free to let me know if there are anything unclear.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Here's a summary in case anyone has a similar issue.

Scenario:

You are doing a cutover migration.  You have some normal user mailboxes that you use in a shared fashion and when you migrate them to Office 365 you want to convert them to shared type so that they don't consume a license.  Probably also applies to any Office 365 user that you want to convert to shared.

Procedure:

Start the cutover migration and wait until the initial synchronisation is complete and the migration reaches the incremental synchronisation stage.

Connect a remote PowerShell instance (help.outlook.com/.../cc952755.aspx) to run the commands.

Convert the mailboxes to shared:

Set-Mailbox -Identity [shared mailbox] -Type Shared

Set the quota limits because in order for shared mailboxes to meet the requirements to not consume a license they must not be larger than 5GB:

Set-Mailbox -Identity [shared mailbox] -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota 5GB -ProhibitSendQuota 4.75GB -IssueWarningQuota 4.5GB

Create a new security group for access to the shared mailbox and add the users to it that require full access and send as rights to the shared mailbox:

New-DistributionGroup -Name "Shared Mailbox Access - [shared mailbox]" -Alias "sharedaccess[shared mailbox]" -Members "[members]" -Type Security

Hide the distribution group from the address lists as it will only be used for access:

Set-DistributionGroup -Identity "Shared Mailbox Access - [shared mailbox]" -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $True

Assign full access and send as permissions to the security group:

Add-MailboxPermission "[shared mailbox]" -User "[security group]" -AccessRights FullAccess

Add-RecipientPermission "[shared mailbox]" -Trustee "[security group]" -AccessRights SendAs -Confirm $False

In the Office 365 portal assign a license to shared mailbox.

Go back and remove the license from the shared mailbox.  You may see a warning about permanent loss of data: ignore it, it won't delete the mailbox.

That it, all done, you can carry on and complete the migration.

All Replies
  • Check these out. If you have questions, please email me

www.office365support.ca/.../Post.aspx

community.office365.com/.../1712.aspx

• Hi Kelsey, thanks for the links but I've been through that documentation already and it doesn't answer any of my questions.

• Can you start with a little more information on how you are setup? You say cut over migration, so I assume there is no ADFS and Directory Sync?

I have created hundreds of shared mailboxes using the process on my blog and they never consume a license. Is it possible that you have missed a step? Have you tried to remove and create these again?

• Hi Kelsey,

It's a standard cutover migration, there's no ADFS or directory sync.  I'll put in directory sync after the migration is complete.

The problem isn't with creating new shared mailboxes in Office 365.  It's with the ordinary user mailboxes from Exchange 2007 that I want to convert to shared once they've been migrated to Office 365.  They weren't shared in Exchange 2007.

• Hi Roland Paix,

I understand that you'd like to convert normal user mailbox to shared mailbox in Office 365. After you synced user mailbox to Office 365 and assigned license to this user, then please run the following cmd-let in the powershell:
    get-mailbox -identity user@domain.com | set-mailbox -type "Shared"

After doing the above steps, you need to release the O365 license by yourself after you changed one mailbox to a shared mailbox.

Please feel free to let me know if there are anything unclear.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Thanks Allen.  That seems to have worked on the first mailbox but I'll wait overnight before I try it on the next one.  I'll update again tomorrow.

• Hi Roland Paix,

I'm glad to hear that my previous reply is helpful to you. I am looking forward to your update.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

• Here's a summary in case anyone has a similar issue.

Scenario:

You are doing a cutover migration.  You have some normal user mailboxes that you use in a shared fashion and when you migrate them to Office 365 you want to convert them to shared type so that they don't consume a license.  Probably also applies to any Office 365 user that you want to convert to shared.

Procedure:

Start the cutover migration and wait until the initial synchronisation is complete and the migration reaches the incremental synchronisation stage.

Connect a remote PowerShell instance (help.outlook.com/.../cc952755.aspx) to run the commands.

Convert the mailboxes to shared:

Set-Mailbox -Identity [shared mailbox] -Type Shared

Set the quota limits because in order for shared mailboxes to meet the requirements to not consume a license they must not be larger than 5GB:

Set-Mailbox -Identity [shared mailbox] -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota 5GB -ProhibitSendQuota 4.75GB -IssueWarningQuota 4.5GB

Create a new security group for access to the shared mailbox and add the users to it that require full access and send as rights to the shared mailbox:

New-DistributionGroup -Name "Shared Mailbox Access - [shared mailbox]" -Alias "sharedaccess[shared mailbox]" -Members "[members]" -Type Security

Hide the distribution group from the address lists as it will only be used for access:

Set-DistributionGroup -Identity "Shared Mailbox Access - [shared mailbox]" -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $True

Assign full access and send as permissions to the security group:

Add-MailboxPermission "[shared mailbox]" -User "[security group]" -AccessRights FullAccess

Add-RecipientPermission "[shared mailbox]" -Trustee "[security group]" -AccessRights SendAs -Confirm $False

In the Office 365 portal assign a license to shared mailbox.

Go back and remove the license from the shared mailbox.  You may see a warning about permanent loss of data: ignore it, it won't delete the mailbox.

That it, all done, you can carry on and complete the migration.

• Hi Roland Paix,

Thanks for sharing the method in the forum, I believe others will benefit from the information.

If you have any other questions when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

• Hi Roland

Just a quick question on your procedure, why do you assign a license and then remove it?

It should be enough to set the mailbox as Shared with the 5Gb size limit.

Is this something to do with "turning the grace period off?"

• Hi Darrell,

I've found that users who were created as standard users (at least by the migration tool) and then converted to shared didn't get recognised as not requiring a license, even though they meet the <5GB requirement and have the quotas set accordingly.  The solution is to assign them a license and then remove it which seems to mark them appropriately.  It may be that if you wait until the grace period expires that it gets set automatically but who wants to risk that?

• I can confirm this, I had the warning message in the Admin console, everything was fine, however those users had NEVER had a license assigned to them before.

Simply assigning a license to the shared mailboxes, then unassigning it afterwards solve the problem for me.

Ross