No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How to Adjust Spam Settings?

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

We receive emails at a distribution group (group@office365-domain.com) from a post-only SMTP server. The from address of the mail message is on another domain (from@another-domain.com). Sometimes the content of the message may be spam-like, but the server itself has SPF record at another-domain.com and is not blacklisted in any DNS BL. However, we never receive the messages sent from the SMTP server. They don't even appear in the Junk Mail folder. Messages sent from elsewhere are fine, and messages sent to another domain (eg, outlook.com) can be received (although sometimes appear in the Junk folder).

I tried to add the domain (another-domain.com) in the Safe Sender list, but seems to have no use.

All Replies
  • Hi Jimliu,

If you are using Offic365 Plan E, you can use FOPE to setup the policy rule to ensure @anotherdomain.com is in safelist.
    If you are using Office365 Plan P, you can add the address in the safelist of mailbox level to bypass it.

We will provide the detail information later.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi JimLiu,

Given this situation, I would like to suggest you use Delivery Report to check whether this email has been delivered to Office 365 by referring the link below:

Inbound mail flow

If there are any results or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao

• Hi Jolin,

To simplify the issue, I changed the settings (in the application) so the mails are delivered to user@office365-domain.com (instead of a distribution list) and user@outlook.com. When I received the mail at outlook.com, I search delivery reports for mails in "user" mailbox that came from from@another-domain.com. There's no message.

A quick update:

I changed the settings again so the mail is being sent from a monitored account. I then receive a message saying that the SMTP server's IP is being blocked. The whole message is:

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [smtp-server-ip] blocked using Blocklist 1, mail from IP banned; To request removal from this list please forward this message to delist@messaging.microsoft.com.

I used MX Toolbox and the SMTP server is not on any blacklist.

• Hi JimLiu,

For a further troubleshoot this issue, could you please provide us the whole NDR? To request the NDR, I have sent a Private Message with a subject of <How to Adjust Spam Settings?> to you.

To access the private message:

-Go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.

-Click Private messages.

-Click the subject title of the response to read the message

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao

• Hi JimLiu,

How are things going? Do you need further assistance?

If there are any questions, please feel free to post.

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao

• Hi Jolin,

It turned out that the IP of the SMTP server we are using was on a blacklist of Office 365. The IP has been removed from the list and everything's working now.

• Hi JimLiu,

Thank you for your update. I am glad things are going well now.

I believe other people who encounter similar problems will benefit from this information. Your contribution is appreciated. 

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan