No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Change reply-to address for exchange account

• I'd like to use an exchange account for my email but don't' want to move the domain over to 365. I can see how to do this with an IMAP account when using Outlook 2007 but not an exchange account, is this possible?

Example: Currently my mail address is sam@myco.com and has an IMAP mailbox with a hosting company.

My 365 domain is myco.onmicrosoft.com. I'd like to forward all mail to sam@myco.onmicrosoft.com and use Outlook 2007 and my iPad to manage mail from that box. When I reply to mail though, I'd like recipients to see that it has come from sam@myco.com. not sam@myco.onmicrosoft.com

Thanks

Sam

• Hi Sam,
    I understand that you have an Office 365 account and you forward all your emails sent to sam@myco.com to your Office 365 account, now your requirement is when you reply to those emails, you want the recipients to see the from field as sam@myco.com, is it correct?
    If so, you can give send as permission for your Office 365 account on your sam@myco.com account.
    First, you should add the sam@myco.com account to your external contact in your Office 365 account.
    Then, connect to Exchange Online via PowerShell, run the following cmdlets:
    Add-RecipientPermission sam@myco.com -AccessRights SendAs -Trustee sam@myco.onmicrosoft.com

After doing this, please check if it works.

Reference
    ========
    Give Users Send As Permission

Thanks,
    Eric Sun

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Eric

thanks for your swift response. I kind of got it working following your instructions but wonder if I'm missing some final steps.

I added sam@myco.com to the external contacts in Office 365 and ran the cmdlets.

In OWA I can now select the "From" field and change it to sam@myco.com when I compose a mail and I have verified that the recipient sees it as from sam@myco.com.

However, I can't see how to make sam@myco.com the default from value in OWA. Outlook or on my iPad. Is there anything else I Can try?

Thanks again for your help

Sam

• You can't use a second outbound address with anything other than your primary email...except with Outlook which has the dropdown.

iPad and OWA don't support this Outlook feature.  Instead, you'll need to connect the second mailbox as a whole other account iPad/OWA and send from the empty mailbox.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Thanks for the clarification John. My understanding is that you can only connect an account outside 365 if it is on Exchange? Unfortunately the sam@myco.com  account is IMAP only.

• Hi Sam,

As John said, to make sam@myco.com as the default from value in OWA, Outlook or IPAD, it’s not available in Office 365. Except in Outlook which has the dropdown, other clients don’t support this feature. Moreover, this has nothing to do with the account type, no matter it is exchange online or POP/IMPA.

Thanks,
    Eric Sun

• Hi Sam,

How are you doing? I am just writing to see if there is any progress on this issue. I do not mean to push you. I just want to ensure that you do not encounter any problems during the troubleshooting.

Thanks,
    Eric Sun

• Hi Eric

thanks for following up. It looks like I'm out of option on this one really. I have it so that I can manually change individual mails to be set to "from" sam@myco.com but nothing that equates to the default  "reply-to" setting in POP\IMAP using Exchange on 365 unfortunately.

As I understand it, if I move the myco.com domain to 365, then all email addresses will also have to move over?

• Hi Sam,

As I understand, if you add your custom domain (myco.com) to Office 365, you want to confirm if you need to move all your email addresses to Office 365.
    Do the email addresses mean your contact or others email address?
    If your email addresses mean contacts in your sam@myco.com mailbox, after you add your domain to Office 365, if you want to keep the contact, you may use .pst files to migrate the e-mails to Office 365 by using Outlook client. You may refer to the following article for more information:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd401503.aspx
    If this is not your requirement, please clarify it in detail for us to resolve.

Thanks,
    Eric Sun

• Hi Eric

I mean other email addresses on the same domain such as joe@myco.com, fred@myco.com etc.

• Hi Sam,

If you add your custom domain to Office 365, do you want to keep using your current mail server or use Office 365 mail service?
    If you want to keep using your current mail server, the MX record still points to your current mail server, you should use Simple Domain Sharing as a workaround. In this way, you don’t need to move all your email addresses to Office 365.
    If you want to use Office 365 mail service, after add your customer domain to Office 365, the MX record will need to point to Office 365. For this situation, your email addresses can’t receive email, you have to move all your email addresses to Office 365.

Reference
    ===========
    Add your domain to Office 365
    Simple Domain Sharing for SMTP Email Addresses

Thanks,
    Eric Sun

• Hi Eric

That looks like just the thing! The scenario described in the first link is just my situation, so thanks for your help in pointing me to that.

Unfortunately due to travel I won't be able to try it out for a couple of weeks, but at least I know what I need to do now.

Best regards

Sam

• Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I'm very glad to hear that my information is useful for you.

I will monitor this thread and if you have any questions in your next steps, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,

Eric Sun