No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Ex. Online - Autodiscover and Activesync services configuration documentation

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi.

Is there any particular documentation or KBs for configuring our mail domain hosted in office365 for autodiscover and activesync?

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ tests shows a lot of errors. I know how to configure those services for an on-premises exchange server but I hane no expirience for exchange online.

thanks.

GG

Verified Answer
  • Hi GG,

What Plan are you on and are you running this in a Hybrid scenario (alongside an existing on premise exchange server).

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637598.aspx

If you are on a P1 plan then you only need to change the Name Servers at the host/registrar, then all DNS settings are preconfigured.

If using Enterprise Plan, then you can get your DNS records from the portal.  Click on domains, select your domain and view DNS Settings

You will need to make sure that the following records are configured at your host/registrar.

Exchange (Example)

MX  0  @  yourdomain-com.mail.eo.outlook.com  1 Hour  (Required to be the highest priority - lowest number)

CNAME  -  autodiscover  autodiscover.outlook.com  1 Hour   (Required for successful autodiscover)

TXT  @  v=spf1 include:outlook.com ~all  1 Hour  (Required to authorise outlook as sending server)

Lync

SRV  _sipfederationtls  _tcp  5061  1  100  1 Hour  dcssouthwest.com  sipfed.online.lync.com  

CNAME  sip.dcssouthwest.com  sipdir.online.lync.com  1 Hour  

CNAME  lyncdiscover.dcssouthwest.com  webdir.online.lync.com  1 Hour  

apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

All Replies
  • Hi GG,

What Plan are you on and are you running this in a Hybrid scenario (alongside an existing on premise exchange server).

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637598.aspx

If you are on a P1 plan then you only need to change the Name Servers at the host/registrar, then all DNS settings are preconfigured.

If using Enterprise Plan, then you can get your DNS records from the portal.  Click on domains, select your domain and view DNS Settings

You will need to make sure that the following records are configured at your host/registrar.

Exchange (Example)

MX  0  @  yourdomain-com.mail.eo.outlook.com  1 Hour  (Required to be the highest priority - lowest number)

CNAME  -  autodiscover  autodiscover.outlook.com  1 Hour   (Required for successful autodiscover)

TXT  @  v=spf1 include:outlook.com ~all  1 Hour  (Required to authorise outlook as sending server)

Lync

SRV  _sipfederationtls  _tcp  5061  1  100  1 Hour  dcssouthwest.com  sipfed.online.lync.com  

CNAME  sip.dcssouthwest.com  sipdir.online.lync.com  1 Hour  

CNAME  lyncdiscover.dcssouthwest.com  webdir.online.lync.com  1 Hour  

apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

• Thank you Richard.  We do not have hybrid installation. We are on the P2 plan.

I had already read that documentation and had created the records correctly.

I have created the CNAME for the autodiscover but when telnet autodiscover in 443, it fails to connect. In port 80, it works.

The issue is that the HTTPS tests in the "Remote Connectivity Analyzer" fails. Only the HTTP works.

• Hi GG,

Here are some documentations about ActiveSync:

help.outlook.com/.../bb896613.aspx

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.newactivesyncmailboxpolicy.aspx

The autodiscover is a part of DNS records of Exchange that you need to configure in your domain, based on what plan you are using now, P or E.

Thanks to Richard, he had already provide you valuable information and knowledge about it .

Thanks

• Quite interesting as the below thread is having similar error on port 443 with a correct CNAME

community.office365.com/.../225555.aspx

• I have verified that the autodiscover record points to the autodiscover.outlook.com (157.56.248.9) but telnet in 443 port, does not work.

I have no firewall and I have tested that 443 works from my connection by doing a telnet to another site. Also the "Remote Connectivity Analyzer" (www.testexchangeconnectivity.com) test for the activesync in office365 fails for https. So, it is definetely an MS issue, from my point of view.

• Hi Ggeorgi,

I understand that the autodiscover record points to the autodiscover.outlook.com. However, telnet in 443 port didn’t work. There isn’t any firewall. When testing this situation, you noticed that 443 works from my connection by doing a telnet to another site.

I noticed that you confirmed Richard’s information as an answer for this issue. At this time, do you need any further assistance with this question? If so, please provide detailed description about the error received when running www.testexchangeconnectivity.com. To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message on this. It was responded in a private message with a subject of "Information Request".
    Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.

Click Private messages.

Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

You can reply by using the form in that display to provide the information requested.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong