No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How to force email setting to POP instead of IMAP?

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi, I have several e-mail accounts which I have connected to my Office 365 Outlook and most of them are working quite nicely.  One of my accounts is on a server which supports both IMAP and POP, every time I set it up on my Office 365 it automatically selects IMAP without giving me an option.  This leaves all the emails on my email server so the inbox eventually overflows.  Thus, I want Office 365 to set the email up using POP settings so I can uncheck the box which says leave emails on server and prevent my inbox from overflowing.

How to I accomplish this?

Thanks,

Alan

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Alan,

I understand you’d like to choose using POP connection (and uncheck leave mail on server) for one connected account in Office 365.

To achieve this target, you can refer to the following steps:
    1), Delete this connected account from ECP (Exchange Control Panel),
    2), Re-add this account by inputting an incorrect credential (wrong password), the wizard will brings you to an error page, click on POP or IMAP at this page (by clicking on the links showed as following).

3), At the manually configure page, please input the correct account information and uncheck “leave mail on server”, click Save.

For more information about connected accounts, please refer to the following page:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd181953.aspx

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

All Replies
  • Hi Alan,

I understand you’d like to choose using POP connection (and uncheck leave mail on server) for one connected account in Office 365.

To achieve this target, you can refer to the following steps:
    1), Delete this connected account from ECP (Exchange Control Panel),
    2), Re-add this account by inputting an incorrect credential (wrong password), the wizard will brings you to an error page, click on POP or IMAP at this page (by clicking on the links showed as following).

3), At the manually configure page, please input the correct account information and uncheck “leave mail on server”, click Save.

For more information about connected accounts, please refer to the following page:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd181953.aspx

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Thanks, that did the trick!