Sign up for Office 365
Learn more about Office 365
I have SBS2008 configured out-of-the-box with Exchange 2007. I am trying to migrate to Exchange Online.
I have everything working with manual server configuration, but I have already experienced a server moving. I need to get Autodiscover to work. I understand that SBS cannot setup Active Directory unless I set up yet another server. So I am not trying to build a hybrid network - I am planning on shutting off the SBS Exchange Server when I am done.
I have the DNS settings established. The Troubleshooting Wizard does not report errors. But when I try to configure Outlook with Autodiscover, it always goes back to the local SBS server. I have verified autodiscover by using autodiscover.<mydomain>.com in IE to correctly get to Outlook Webmail.
I don't know where Autodiscover is running on my server. I do see Autodiscover in iis, but I don't see pointers to Exchange.
How do I get outlook to properly point to Exchange Online?
Thanks for the feedback.
Thanks for your post. For my understanding, you encountered the problem once using autodiscover to connect Exchange online mailbox. (if use manually configurate ,it works)
As for this case, you can take a look the following steps as the solution of this case.
1, Install "desktop apps" before configure Outlook client. portal.microsoftonline.com/.../default.aspx
2, Ensure autodiscover.domain.com can be pointed to autodiscover.outlook.com.( Need to confirm this information at local DNS server )
3, Create a new email profile for the configuration. (remove all the related OST file before configuration)
If you still have the problem, please feel free to post them here.
Thanks, Neo Zhu
I think the problem is related with the Service Connection Point (SCP) in your local Active Directory. When Outlook starts the Autodiscover process he first tries to find the Exchange servers using this SCP and if he fails then it queries the DNS for the auto discover record. If you do not plan to use the local Autodiscover you can remove the SCP from the AD.
To find the SCP open Active Directory Sites and Services, then go to View - > View Services Node. This will show the services node in the console. Then see the screen shot where to locate exactly the SCP
8 out of 8 people found this post helpful.
I don't show any services at all.
How do I install the auto discover system under SBS?
How are you? Have you retired my suggestion above? if still have problem please feel free to post them here.
The suggestion by Ognyan Yuskeseliev about Service Connection Points in Active Directory was the solution for me.
So do you just delete that object or do you edit it?
Have you tried Neo's
suggestion to troubleshoot this issue?
In addition, I would
like to suggest you post a new thread for the issue, so that our support
engineer could provide a dedicated support for you.
I did create a post: community.office365.com/.../404315.aspx
Question is, does Neo's suggestion allow you to setup their mail profile although Exchange on premise is still running? Like the person said the SCP is what causes it to keep finding the on-premise server. The thing though is, he never said actually what needed to be done with that attribute.
Breaking - I too was not sure what to do. I didn't want to delete these items, as there didn't seem to be a way to save/backup/restore. What I ended up doing was going in and setting the security for these items to make it so that everyone has Deny Read. I've tested and so far so good.
Now, if you want to remove this deny it is a little tricky, because you've effectively hidden it from yourself, but it shows up in sites and services. If you take ownership of the file, then you can see the deny everyone and remove that permission. I, however, kept it denied for everyone.
This allows my users to autodiscover in outlook, but still access the old mail server through webmail (had some archives that still need to be migrated so users are looking at archives in the old webmail.)
Hope this helps fill in the gaps.