Sent/Deleted items (folders) not migrated over IMAP

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi folks,

I am just migrating one Hosted Zarafa Mailbox to Echange Online (for one user to test the migration) over IMAP. The job was done quite fast, but I mentioned one problem:

- migration over IMAP did not migrated the Sent and Deleted Items folders.

(i didn't exclude any of these folders for migration)

Is there a way to migrte these Folders by the Migration batch which I start fromout Office 365 admin portal?

Or do we need a 3rd party application for migration or so? Or will this type of migration put all the messages (deleted or sent) just in the inbox? So the user must move them manually to sent or deleted items..

Thanks in advance!

Verified Answer
  • hi Chrisvr,

Thanks for your post. For your current situation, I'd like to confirm that all the email item in inbox has been migration to Office365 or not?

If so, I'd like you can look for the other mailbox folder such as excluding Deleted Items in one system when another one calls it Recycle Bin or Trash.

If there is no items in inbox, it could be a folder list problem, you can take a look the following steps:

1, Open a cmd prompt and Telnet IP address of source mail server over port 993 Telnet IMAP.company.com 993
    2, Then provide credentials for a mailbox that is in the source ? LOGIN DOMAIN/UserAlias/PASSWORD
    3,Then list the folders for this users mailbox ? LIST "" "*"
    4, Then ensure you can access the messages in at least one folder, to open a folder such as the inbox run the following ? Select Inbox
    5.Then to list the content in the inbox run the following ? LIST "" "*"

This will ensure that you at least have basic access to the source server over a secure IMAP connection.
    Thanks, Neo Zhu

All Replies
  • hi Chrisvr,

Thanks for your post. For your current situation, I'd like to confirm that all the email item in inbox has been migration to Office365 or not?

If so, I'd like you can look for the other mailbox folder such as excluding Deleted Items in one system when another one calls it Recycle Bin or Trash.

If there is no items in inbox, it could be a folder list problem, you can take a look the following steps:

1, Open a cmd prompt and Telnet IP address of source mail server over port 993 Telnet IMAP.company.com 993
    2, Then provide credentials for a mailbox that is in the source ? LOGIN DOMAIN/UserAlias/PASSWORD
    3,Then list the folders for this users mailbox ? LIST "" "*"
    4, Then ensure you can access the messages in at least one folder, to open a folder such as the inbox run the following ? Select Inbox
    5.Then to list the content in the inbox run the following ? LIST "" "*"

This will ensure that you at least have basic access to the source server over a secure IMAP connection.
    Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Thanks for the respons Neo,

in fact, I tried it with 2 other mailboxen (on same hosted zarafa mailserver) and these went perfect. The deleted and sent items were synced correctly.

So what coudl be went wrong with first mailbox migration? Am I able to re-do that migration in some way?

Antoher question, 1 mailbox migration staying stuck around 3000 items, the migration won't get further. I already cancelled it and restarted that migration. Could there be a problem (still impa migration from Hosted Zarafa Mailbox).

• hi Chrisvr,

Thanks for your update.

To synchronize a single mailbox, it is recommended to do this by exporting your previous mailbox data to a .pst file in Outlook client and then import it to Exchange Online mailbox.

For more information, you may refer to
    How to manage personal folders files in Outlook (CW) 

And it's OK to restart the migration, for more information, you may refer to Migrate E-Mail from an IMAP Server to Cloud-based Mailboxes

If you have other questions, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang 

• Well, it is just one mailbox (out of 24) that is migrated over IMAP via Office 365 portal > manage Exchange :

that has not been migrated correct.

23 zarafa mailboxes has been migrated like the folder structure in Zarafa into Exchange

1 zarafa mailbox has been migrated with all the Deleted and Sent items into the Exchange INBOX

Are we able (wothout any problems for user) to clear the Exchange Mailbox and do the migration of this specific mailbox over, so we can see if the migration will be correct after this? (note: this particular zarafa mailbox was the first in row, so maybe there has been a malfuntion or so because this user did not renamed the folders in Zarafa)

• Hi Chrisvr,

Thanks for your reply. You can backup all the email items as a PST file and cancel user's Exchange online license as a simple clean-up way. However, If the last email mailbox still can't migrate , you can use PST file for the migration from Zarafa to Exchange online.

Thanks, Neo Zhu