No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook 2010 is not getting new mail

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Last week I switched to a new laptop and I configured Outlook 2010 SP1 32 Bit to access my Exchange online mailbox (9 GB).

Since 3 days Outlook is downloading the mailbox messages (or looks so) offline - cached mode is active -, but new mail messages are shown only when I launch Outlook. After that moment Outlook doesn't show new messages anymore.

Access from OWA / iPad / WP7 is fine. The problem is with Outlook.

If it can help, the server to which Outlook connects is AMSPRD0304.mailbox.outlook.com

What's happening?

All Replies
  • I think maybe your PST5 is corrupted. There're several methods you can try:

Method 1

The first method of recovery to try scanpst on a exported personal folder.

1. Back up all mailbox information by downloading messages to a Personal folder (.pst).

Personal Folders can be added to your profile by selecting Services from the Tools menu and choosing Add.

2. In the Outlook client, select Import and Export from the File menu.

3. Follow the Import and Export Wizard and select Export to a File. Choose to export the file to a Personal Folder (.pst).

4. Type in a file name and select the Mailbox as the file to Export from and be sure to include subfolders.

5. Delete the corrupted folder

This method can be used to delete a corrupted calendar, contacts, journal, notes, or tasks folder because the Exchange client views these folders as standard and not as required.

a. To delete the corrupted folder you will need to use the Exchange client.

The Microsoft Exchange client was provided by the following products.

Office 97

Outlook 97 standalone version

Windows 95 (Inbox)

Exchange 4.0 (client folder on cd)

Exchange 5.0 (client folder on cd)

If you are using a version of Outlook that was upgraded from Outlook 97 then you may be able to locate

the Exchange client on the local machine. To do this use the Find/Search utility provided in Windows and look for the

file named exchng32.exe. If you do not find the file on the local machine then you will have to obtain the

Exchange client through one of the products listed.

Note: It is recommended that you do not install the Exchange client on a machine running Outlook 2000 or newer due to the

older versions of the files used by Exchange client.

b. Using the Exchange client open the users mailbox and delete the corrupted folder.

6. Recreate the Outlook required folder by starting Outlook from the command line using "Outlook /resetfolders" (without the quotation marks).

For more information on using the Outlook command line switches, see the following article.

Q197180 - OL2000: Additional Command-Line Switches

<support.microsoft.com/.../80.asp>

7. Move all messages back from the PST to the mailbox. From the File menu, choose Import and Export and follow the Import and Export Wizard to import the data from the file created in steps 3 and 4 above.

If this does not work then move the Method 2

Method 2

This method will only be possible if you can still open the folder and view data using the Exchange Client installed from method 1.

The second method of recovering data is to try splitting the data into seperate folders using the exchange client and gradually narrowing down the item that is corrupted and deleting it.

In many cases this problem may be caused by a single item in the folder that is preventing access to the data.

1. Create two new folders in Outlook that will contain the same type of items as the original corrupted folder. For example if the folder that has corruption is the Calendar folder then you will want to create two new folder that each will contain Calendar items.

a. Click to select the File menu, then click to select Folder, click New Folder.

b. In the Create New Folder dialog box type "Folder 1" (without quotation marks) in the Name line.

c. In Folder Contains click the dropdown and select Calendar Items.

d. When selecting where to place the folder it is recommended that you place the folder in a new Personal Folder (.pst).

Repeat steps a-d and when naming the second folder call it "Folder 2"

2. Using the Exchange Client open the new Personal Folder created in step 1 and the mailbox containing the corrupted folder.

3. Open the corrupted folder and select ~half of the items in the folder and select copy.

4. Move the mouse to the Folder 1 and paste the items selected.

5. Return to the corrupted folder and select the remaining items from the corrupted folder and copy these items to Folder 2.

6. Close the Exchange client.

7. Using Outlook open the personal folder containing the copied items and determine which of the two folders contains the corrupted item(s).

8. Once you have determined which of the folder has the corruption you can repeat this process on the corrupted folder and continue to split the data until you have narrowed down the item in the folder that is corrupted.

9. Using the Exchange client delete the corrupted item from the original folder in the mailbox.

Method 3

Method 3 is the final method for attempting to seperate corruption from data and recover as much data as possible in the process.

With this method the data from the corrupted folder will be exported to a comma seperated value (.csv) file then using the Exchange client delete the corrupted folder from the Exchange server, rebuild the folder using /resetfolder switch, then import the .csv file back into the folder. The drawback of this method is all rich text information will be lost in the process. This includes recurrences on meetings, linked items and any other automation that is not part of the data in the item.

1. In the Outlook client, select Import and Export from the File menu.

3. Follow the Import and Export Wizard and select Export to a File and select Comma separated value (windows).

4. Create a file name and select the folder the contains the corruption as the folder to Export from.

5. Delete the corrupted folder using the Exchange client

a. To delete the corrupted folder you will need to use the Exchange client.

The Microsoft Exchange client was provided by the following products.

Office 97

Outlook 97 standalone version

Windows 95 (Inbox)

Exchange 4.0 (client folder on cd)

Exchange 5.0 (client folder on cd)

If you are using a version of Outlook that was upgraded from Outlook 97 then you may be able to locate

the Exchange client on the local machine. To do this use the Find/Search utility provided in Windows and look for the

file named exchng32.exe. If you do not find the file on the local machine then you will have to obtain the

Exchange client through one of the products listed.

Note: It is recommended that you do not install the Exchange client on a machine running Outlook 2000 or newer due to the

older versions of the files used by Exchange client.

b. Using the Exchange client open the users mailbox and delete the corrupted folder.

6. Recreate the Calendar folder by starting Outlook from the command line using

"Outlook /resetfolders" (without the quotation marks).

For more information on using the Outlook command line switches, see the following article.

Q197180 - OL2000: Additional Command-Line Switches

<support.microsoft.com/.../80.asp>

7. Move all messages back from the CSV to the mailbox. From the File menu,

choose Import and Export and follow the Import and Export Wizard to import

the data from the file created in steps 3 and 4 above. Import this data into the newly

created folder.

• Hi Maketure,

Thanks for your post.  Based on the description, I want to confirm that how many users are facing this issue? (all of the users or only special user).

If all of the users encountered this issue, it could be related to network connectivity issue. I'd like you can choose 1-2 test user for the testing with other location.

If only you/special user encounter this issue,it was a client configuration related issue. I'd like you can disable third party add-ins on outlook client and disable third party application espciaelly third party anti-spam on Windows OS.

Further, you can try to click on "send/receive" emails, If still no luck, it could be a network connectivity issue between Outlook client and Exchange Online server.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi maketrue,

If there is only one user occerred this issue, I think it could be the outlook configuration issue. Try to disable your  third party anti-virus software and the third party anti-spam software.

Andy

• Hi maketure,

How are you doing? I am just writing to see if there is any progress on this issue. I do not mean to push you. I just want to ensure that you do not encounter any problems during the troubleshooting.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Neo Zhu,

I launched RepairPST on my OST file, but nothing changes.

I don't think it's a connectivity issue, because Outlook is always "Connected to Microsoft Exchange", all folders are updated and I can send messages without any problem.

When I launch Outlook I see the most recent messages, but when Outlook is running:

- it doesn't download new messages or it does it very rarely, but I didn't get a specific criteria

- if I click on "Update Folder" (Shift + F9), then Outlook downloads new messages received until to that moment

Other users in the organization are using Outlook / Exchange Online without problems.

Are you sure it's not an Exchange Online issue?

Thank you

• Hi maketrue,

As your description, have you check the time-zone on your desktop? Or make sure the outlook time-zone synchronize the local time-zone? it seems not to relative with connectivity issue. Because when outlook receives a mail request from service side, it will compare the receive date on local time with the one on exchange service. if comparision values are out of error margin, outlook on promise will not download messages automatically. You can follow this article link to check it below.

support.microsoft.com/.../EN-US

BR

Andy  

• I checked the timezone and it's aligned between Outlook and Windows.

To give another (hopefully) useful element, even if some days ago Outlook status bar was claiming "All folders updated" I discovered that now Outlook says "Updating Inbox (3,97 GB)". The number decreases as long Outlook is connected, but the next time I launch Outlook, it starts again at 3,x GB.

Any ideas?

• Hi maketrue,

Thanks for your reply. Based on your description and If the issue only occur for one user , it's not a server problem becuase of two reasons :  all most the mobile devices can connect to the Exchange online mailbox and receive the emails without problem.  Emails arrive to the mailbox and Outlook client can receive them (only refresh it or launch the application).

Based on my experience, you can test again with different location. Further, to improve the application performance, you can enable the Exchange online archive to decrease the mailbox size and disable all the add-in in Outlook client.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hello together,

just wanted to announce, that we have a similar problem.

A user has multiple mailboxes connected to it's outlook 2010, all of them synchronize except of 1. If he hits shift + f9 the folder gets updated just like maketrue said.

Other users are also connected to this mailbox, but they seem not to have any problems.

Removing and Adding the access permissions for the mailbox seems to solve the problem for some days, but then again, it stops working.

This also happend to a mailbox that was connected to my outlook once, but removing and adding the permissions solved the problem for me (till  now).

Can't this really be a problem with exchange online?

Thanks

• Neo Zhu,

I disabled all the Outlook add-ins and unfortunately the problem did not disappear. Note that I use is Windows Security Essentials, that's not a third party antivirus.

About performance, it's not a matter of download speed. Even if Outlook completely updates the Inbox, the next time I open Outlook, it starts downloading 3,9x GB again. Looks like some kind of "Loop".

Please, consider that with my previous PC I had the same add-ons, the same antivirus and the same mailbox size, and everything worked fine.

If you have some other suggestion, I'm available to test it.

Thank you.

• Hello again,

so changed user to a new pc, now synchronisation works again, very mysterious.

Will have a detailed look on the old PC.

Best regards.

• Hi lastlogon and maketrue,

Thanks for your post. For Outlook client issue,  I'd like you can enable "Outlook client logging". Detail information at  support.microsoft.com/.../831053

It's a little bit complicated to analyze. You can also try to re-configure the email problem before that remove the local OST file.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi lastlogon and maketrue,

How are you? Is there any further I can help?

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hm, problem only seems to occour if the access rights are set via PowerShell.

Have to try something.

Kind regards.

• Hello together,

a collegue send me the following link: support.microsoft.com/.../2675986

I'm still at verivication but it looks good so far.

Even if my statusbar looks a little different.

Kind regards