Shared Contacts

This question is answered This question is answered

I want to know if it is possible to comfortably use shared contacts in Office 365. I searched for it and tried many things but did not get it all right.

My scenario is this:

- Every user has it's own privat contacts (this works, wow!)

- There is a shared contacts list for every user

- Shared contacts should be listed and editable online (Office 365 Outlook), in Outlook 2010 and on a phone

It should be easy to do, but I have not found a solution for it!

What I can do is:

1. SharePoint contacts list; works in Outlook, no integration in iPhone and online Outlook

2. Share a contacts folder in Outlook; works in Outlook, no integration in iPhone and online Outlook

3. Use GAL Externel Contacts; I can find contacts everywhere but not simply list them or add and edit

Did I try everything possible or did I miss something? What is the best solution for my scenario?

Verified Answer
  • Unfortunately, you cannot push the given permissions in OWA. The only permissions allowed to pass on at this time, in OWA, is Calendars.

Thanks,

• OK, so there is no solution. I hope Microsoft is working on this.

All Replies
  • Hi xokko,

SharePoint or external contacts would probably be your best options. The SharePoint option would work for all 3 listed scenarios since you are able to visit the SharePoint site on the device browser and from a computers browser.   

Thanks,

Matt

• Yes, but it is not integrated in online Outlook and iPhone (there is maybe a sync app?). External contacts (Windows Live or what?) would also mean no full integration.

• Hello,

If you have private Contacts, you can share it out to all or just a given amount of users. You can do this within the Delegation Features, within Outlook.

Thanks,

• You mean Permissions for the contacts folder? It works with Outlook quite well, but iPhone and OWA don't show shared contacts or did I miss something? Is it possible to use ActiveSync for shared contacts or SharePoint contacts?
  • Unfortunately, you cannot push the given permissions in OWA. The only permissions allowed to pass on at this time, in OWA, is Calendars.

Thanks,

• OK, so there is no solution. I hope Microsoft is working on this.

• Wake up guys, this is a very important issue which should not just be fudged off with "use the browser" - what if we've got no internet access - you cannot them see your "shared contacts"... poor, very poor.

• I agree that this is an issue that needs to be resolved.  We have our SharePoint contacts linked to our Outlook clients, works great.  Now all's I would need is the ability for the iTunes sync to be able to pull those contacts to my iPhone.  In my mind I can't figure why this isn't possible, am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tony

• We have been working on an Outlook add-in called "ProperSync for Microsoft Outlook". ProperSync allows users to sync Office365 contacts with Outlook, OWA, iPhones, etc.

You can find more here:

propersync.com/unifiedcontacts.aspx

*Disclaimer - I am part of the ProperSync team, but hope this has been a relevant and useful posting.