No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office365 claims iPhone 4S password is wrong when it isn't

This question is answered This question is answered

I am a P1 subscriber. I can set up the exchange account on my user's iPhone 4S fine. But roughly half the time the user tries to look at their mail, the iPhone claims the password is incorrect (the other times it makes no such complaint). However, the password is definitely correct as (1) the same password works fine for OWA, and (2) if the user waits several hours (sometimes up to a day)without doing anything, the password works without being changed.

When the password doesn't work, the user can go into the settings, retype an entry exactly the same and thus re-verify the account. When the re-verification goes through (it sometimes fails), it seems to get things working again right after the re-verification. But then the issue occurs again within a day.

It is not acceptible for the iPhone to only work half the time (or for the user to have to re-verify just to check their mail), but I cannot figure out what to do and don't see any topics addressing this issue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Will,

First, thanks for Chris and Sleeping’s suggestions.

Here, I also provide an article for you. Please check if you have set up Exchange E-mail on your iPhone 4S as suggested.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd936215.aspx

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Honestly, I cannot say 100% for sure that the issue doesn't happen in OWA as the user rarely accesses email that way. But they have never had the issue occur when they did use OWA.

I have deleted the Office365 Exchange account before and re-run setup. The issue has not gone away in the past. But I re-did it again per your message above (the same as before). We will see if the issue continues to occur. Thanks for the help.

All Replies
  • This most likely has to do with the topic & link from community.office365.com/.../exchange-activesync-client-connectivity-in-office-365.aspx

• Do you know how to set email account in your iphone?

360on365.com/.../demo-configuring-and-accessing-office365-on-an-ipad

Although it is said how to configure in ipad, but it is similar in iphone.

• Hi Will,

First, thanks for Chris and Sleeping’s suggestions.

Here, I also provide an article for you. Please check if you have set up Exchange E-mail on your iPhone 4S as suggested.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• The setup is correct. I have verified each entry and it does work some of the time.

• So are you suggesting that Apple has not correctly implemented ActiveSync? If that were the case, I would expect to see far more complaints about this issue. Do you know of any way to verify that this is the problem (and hopefully a fix if it is)?

• Did you setup the account through ActiveSync? You can try the POP to achieve your target.

And I don't think it is a bug. Because mine is working fine.

• If ActiveSync does not work with Office365, then there are any number of other hosted Exchange providers where it will work. If forced to use POP, then there is little reason to use Exchange (many free, more reliable POP solutions exist). I can't say for sure it is a bug, but my in house Exchange server had no problems prior to switching to Office365, so it seems to be limited to Office365.

• Ok. You could check the ActiiveSync setting of user.

• Hi Will,

Just checking in to see whether the previous information provided by Sleeping was helpful. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
    Josephine
  • Thanks for checking Josephine. But none of the posts above addressed the problem. They only told me to look at the instructions for setting up an iPhone (which were already implemented precisely). As this issue seems specific to Office 365 (it did not exist on our stand alone Exchange server nor at Sherweb), we will have to switch providers if we cannot figure out a solution. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Hi Will,

If the password does not work properly in OWA, the issue may be caused by Office 365. As the password only does not work properly on your iPhone, I recommend you re-set up Microsoft Exchange E-Mail on an Apple iPhone by running ActiveSync. Because some settings may be corrupted while using the iPhone. Please refer to the following article to re-set it up and let me know the result.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Honestly, I cannot say 100% for sure that the issue doesn't happen in OWA as the user rarely accesses email that way. But they have never had the issue occur when they did use OWA.

I have deleted the Office365 Exchange account before and re-run setup. The issue has not gone away in the past. But I re-did it again per your message above (the same as before). We will see if the issue continues to occur. Thanks for the help.

• Hi Will,

Thank you for your reply. If you need further help, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Hi Will,

How are the things going? Do you have any updates about the status of the issue?

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng