No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Some items cannot be deleted. They were either moved or already deleted, or access was denied

This question is answered This question is answered

O365 we are unable to empty the deleted items folder.  Error everytime:

"some items cannot be deleted.  they were either moved or already deleted, or access was denied."

Tried doing it direct with OWA and with Outlook 2010 in cached and non cached mode.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Chrysalis,

I understand that you prefer to empty the deleted items folder. However, the message "some items cannot be deleted. they were either moved or already deleted, or access was denied." occurred when emptying the folder.

You can refer Surya's suggestions to purge the deleted items. For the detailed information, see  Learn About Deleted Items.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

All Replies
  • Hello Chrysalis,

please try to purge your deleted items with Oultook in cache mode Disabled. To purge the deleted item go to your outlook web apps >> right click on the Recover deleted items >> click on the cross symbol which says purge.

sometimes, with cache mode you receive this error temporarily disabling it will slove this issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Surya Begum

• Hi Chrysalis,

I understand that you prefer to empty the deleted items folder. However, the message "some items cannot be deleted. they were either moved or already deleted, or access was denied." occurred when emptying the folder.

You can refer Surya's suggestions to purge the deleted items. For the detailed information, see  Learn About Deleted Items.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Chrysalis,

I would like to follow up with the question you posted previously. Does the reply above answer your question?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong