No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Search/ Sort E-mail Store in Exchange Online

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

We use Exchange Online for our small business of about 70 users. I want to know if there is a way by which all the e-mails of all the users (Inbox & Sent Items) could be stored in a location (on-premise/ off-premise/ cloud) so that a Search or a Sort could be run on this E-mail Store. And, yes this should be controlled by the User Access. So that Mr. A who has access to all mails could search all of them; while Mr. B who has access to only a Project could access mails of that project only. Again, I think we would require to somehow tag all the e-mails, to provide this type of functionality? Probably this part could be done from inside Outlook, or better at the Server (Exchange Online)?

Any ideas, please?

Regards

Yagyesh

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hello

the feature you are requesting for is called Discovery

only Administrators or users with Discovery management rights can use it

To search for anything within all mailboxes, connect to OWA (https://mail.office365.com)

Then click on the Options\Set all options menu (top right below your name)

Click on Mail\Manage... and choose My Organization

Finally go to the Mail control section (on left) and select Discovery

• Hi Yagyesh,

Thanks for Benoit’s suggestion, and the information provided is spot on.
    To search or sort e-mails among several mailboxes in an origination, you must be a member of the Discover Management role group. To learn how to do this, see Give Users Access to Multi-Mailbox Search. For more information about role group, see Administrator Role Groups in Exchange Online.

In addition, if you preferred that some users can only have a limitation search scope, please customize the scope of an administrator role. To do this, you may need to create exclusive write scope to associate with some specific mailboxes.
    For reference about how to create exclusive write scope, please refer to the article below:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff852814.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Yagyesh,

This link should provide the instructions you are looking for on Discovery: help.outlook.com/.../ee424425.aspx

Have a great day,

• You can put a mailbox on Litigation Hold which prevents mail from being deleted.

Further info on compliance options for Office 365: help.outlook.com/.../ff637239.aspx

Have a great day,

All Replies
  • Hi,

We use Exchange Online for our small business of about 70 users. I want to know if there is a way by which all the e-mails of all the users (Inbox & Sent Items) could be stored in a location (on-premise/ off-premise/ cloud) so that a Search or a Sort could be run on this E-mail Store. And, yes this should be controlled by the User Access. So that Mr. A who has access to all mails could search all of them; while Mr. B who has access to only a Project could access mails of that project only. Again, I think we would require to somehow tag all the e-mails, to provide this type of functionality? Probably this part could be done from inside Outlook, or better at the Server (Exchange Online)?

Any ideas, please?

Regards

Yagyesh

• Hello

To search for anything within all mailboxes, connect to OWA (https://mail.office365.com)

• Hello

• Thank you for your question.  I am trying to accomplish the same task.  I will follow the answers.

• Hi Yagyesh,

Thanks for Benoit’s suggestion, and the information provided is spot on.
    To search or sort e-mails among several mailboxes in an origination, you must be a member of the Discover Management role group. To learn how to do this, see Give Users Access to Multi-Mailbox Search. For more information about role group, see Administrator Role Groups in Exchange Online.

In addition, if you preferred that some users can only have a limitation search scope, please customize the scope of an administrator role. To do this, you may need to create exclusive write scope to associate with some specific mailboxes.
    For reference about how to create exclusive write scope, please refer to the article below:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff852814.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thank you for your response Benoit!

Could you please suggest a couple of web-links for me to understand and learn more about this feature called "Discovery."

Thanks

Yagyesh

• Yagyesh,

This link should provide the instructions you are looking for on Discovery: help.outlook.com/.../ee424425.aspx

Have a great day,

• Thank you all for your prompt help!

I am going through the links to understand the process.

Also, we want to keep (all) the mails securely stored too. So that even if any user delete these from his mailbox, we do not loose those mails. How to achieve that?

Thanks again,

Yagyesh

• You can put a mailbox on Litigation Hold which prevents mail from being deleted.

Further info on compliance options for Office 365: help.outlook.com/.../ff637239.aspx

Have a great day,

• Hi Yagyesh,

Thanks for Dan’s information. When a Litigation hold is enabled for a mailbox, none of the items in the mailbox are permanently deleted from Exchange Online. All items in the Recoverable Items folder are retained until the litigation hold is removed. Administrator can use the Multi-Mailbox search feature search and recover it.
    For more information about litigation hold, please refer to the article below:
    Put a Mailbox on Litigation Hold
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.editlitigationhold.aspx

If you have any questions when using Office 365, please feel free to post in the forum. We will be more than to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thank you Benoit, Grace Shi, Dan! Your replies were very useful towards our requirement!!

I also read something related which I just want to share here, that Exchange Online though don't have their own but provides an archiving service operated by Proofpoint. And this service also has the Search option, along with Archiving, and some other useful features.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards

Yagyesh