No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Cannot send mail to just one cloud user

This question is answered This question is answered

I have On-premise relay scenario and suddenly I cannot send mail from on-premise exchange or from external mail to just one mailbox stored into cloud. Another cloud user is able to get any mail.

Error (reverted mail):

#5.2.0 smtp;550 5.2.0 RESOLVER.ADR.BadPrimary; recipient primary SMTP address
is missing or invalid> #SMTP#

and

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

There's a problem with the recipient's mailbox. Please try resending the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: XXX

IMCEAEX-_O=FIRST+20ORGANIZATION_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=XXXX
#550 5.2.0 RESOLVER.ADR.BadPrimary; recipient primary SMTP address is missing or invalid ##

I WAS ABLE to send mail to this user 3-4h ago ?!?!

What did I change ...?!

Thnx

Verified Answer
  • Hi John, 

Before going further, I would like to confirm whether the other Office 365 users can send emails to the problematic mailbox or not.  

According to the error message, this issue can be caused if the primary SMTP address is missing or invalid. At this point, I suggest trying the following steps to check the SMTP address. 

1. Start Outlook, and then open the Address Book.
    2. Search for the problematic user account. Double-click the account to open the address book details.
    3. Click the E-mail Addresses tab. Check if the SMTP value matches the email address. 

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan
All Replies
  • Hi John, 

Before going further, I would like to confirm whether the other Office 365 users can send emails to the problematic mailbox or not.  

According to the error message, this issue can be caused if the primary SMTP address is missing or invalid. At this point, I suggest trying the following steps to check the SMTP address. 

1. Start Outlook, and then open the Address Book.
    2. Search for the problematic user account. Double-click the account to open the address book details.
    3. Click the E-mail Addresses tab. Check if the SMTP value matches the email address. 

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan
  • Hi Mindy,

You're right, primary SMTP mail is missing. Now, I remembered that I add to that problematic user additional allias address - through AD - but problem was in new SMTP address: hint: there could be only one address added with capital SMTP, all other must be small smtp.

Many thanks.

• Hi John,

I’m glad to hear that the root cause of this Exchange issue has been found. It is my pleasure to work with you.  At this point, I would like to confirm if you have any other questions on this issue.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• No, I don't have other question on this issue.