No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Configure an office scanner/printer to be able to email out.

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi all.  We are a startup with a new subscription to Office 365.  We don't have any servers on premises - we use a hosted phone and internet provider.  We're installing a Ricoh printer/scanner and want to be able to email out scanned documents.  When trying to configure the system it only uses SSL not TLS and we don't have an internal server to create an SMTP relay.  How can I configure the printer to be able to email scanned copies thru the office 365 exchange server?  I tried both m.outlook.com and pod51018.outlook.com with port 587.  but there is no printer option for TLS.

Help!

Verified Answer
  • Hello Chad,

For security reason, the Transport Layer Security (TLS) is required when using authenticated SMTP of Office 365. You may contact the vendor of Ricoh printer/scanner to make sure TLS is supported on that device first.

Meanwhile, to find the SMTP server name, please access your mailbox via OWA. And then, click Options > See All Options > Account > My Account > Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access.

By the way, if the printer/scanner does not support TLS, you can use another mail server to configure Microsoft Exchange Online as an SMTP relay to send email messages in Microsoft Office 365 for enterprises. For detailed information, please refer to the KB2600912.

How to configure an SMTP relay for Office 365
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600912/en-us

Thank you.

Jack Sun

All Replies
  • Hello Chad,

For security reason, the Transport Layer Security (TLS) is required when using authenticated SMTP of Office 365. You may contact the vendor of Ricoh printer/scanner to make sure TLS is supported on that device first.

Meanwhile, to find the SMTP server name, please access your mailbox via OWA. And then, click Options > See All Options > Account > My Account > Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access.

By the way, if the printer/scanner does not support TLS, you can use another mail server to configure Microsoft Exchange Online as an SMTP relay to send email messages in Microsoft Office 365 for enterprises. For detailed information, please refer to the KB2600912.

How to configure an SMTP relay for Office 365
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600912/en-us

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hello Chad,

Did the above reply answer your questions? If the information is helpful, please show this thread as answered so others may benefit from the information. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• If you have a browser on your Ricoh you can use UDOCX as well. It is cloud solution too that connects the Ricoh directly with Office 365. Regards