Outlook AutoArchive missing

• The Outlook AutoArchive function has been disabled after I enabled online archiving. Is there any way to get this back? Some of our users have multiple email accounts, and although O365 online archive works for the exchange online accounts, we still need outlook archive to manage other mailboxes.

Thanks

• Hi,

Regarding to the Auto Archive icon, if you enable the archive feature for your Office 365 mailbox from Outlook Web App (OWA), it would then disable the Auto Archive function in your connected desktop Outlook client. However, if you disable the archive feature in OWA, the Auto Archive icon would be back in the desktop Outlook.

Since you mentioned that some users have multiple email accounts, I have done some further research about it. Based on my test, I would suggest them to add another non Office 365 email account first as the primary email account in Outlook client. As long as the primary account is not an Office 365 email account which has been enabled the Archive feature, on my side, I would still be able to see the Auto Archive Settings icon under Folder from the top toolbar in Outlook 2010.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi,

How are things going?

Please post back at your convenience if we can help further.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Sorry about the delay replying, and thanks for your help.

I think this will solve some of our problems, but what about if the other account is a pop account? Exchange automatically becomes the primary account in this situation.

• Hi csmmsc,

To separate and manage different email accounts, I would recommend you may create a new Outlook profile, and then add those no Office 365 Online email accounts to it. In the new Outlook profile, you could be able to configure Auto Archive function successfully.

To do so, please refer to the following steps below:
    1. Close Outlook.
    2. Click Start, go to Control Panel, click Mail.
    3. Click Show Profiles in Mail Setup window, click add to create a new profile, cancel the following account setting.
    4. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used, then click OK.
    5. Open Outlook and follow the instruction of New Account Wizard to add the POP account.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thanks Grace, but this is exactly what we didnt want to do. It means users are constantly swapping between profiles just to check if they have new email, and also presents a problem of having multiple calendars and missing appointments.

• Hi,

Actually, if you are using Outlook 2010, it is ok to add a non-Office 365 account as the primary account and then add your Office 365 account. You could view all the messages sent to different mailboxes added in your Outlook 2010 Client instead of swapping between profiles. It is true that you would have multiple calendars while it is easy and convenient to manage them in Outlook 2010. As for appointments, if they have been added in your calendars, the notice for the appointments would pop out  15minutes before the appointments automatically to remind you not to miss them.( The 15 minutes is the default time, you could set it via Outlook)

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• As in previous post, i mentioned that in some cases the other account is a pop account, so regardless of what one you add first, the office 365 account automatically becomes the primary account.

Regarding multiple calendar usage, it's used a lot more proactively than this. Calendars are shared between users, so other users need to see the whole calendar. Also they use them for day-to-day scheduling and prioritizing, so you need to see the whole calendar to see the big picture. It doesnt help a reminder popping up 15 minutes before an appointment when it required 2 hours preparation and a 1 hour drive to the appointment!

Anyway, you've mostly answered my question - in most cases the second account is another exchange account. I was just hoping there was a way to get around it for the situations where the second one was a pop account.

• Hi,

I understand what you described. However, currently, there is no possible solutions to totally resolve this problem. As a result, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at  <mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft Online Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210>, if the service requests frequently, the product team may include it in the future releases.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• How to disable archive from OWA?