No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Multiple email accounts with multiple inboxes.

This question is answered This question is answered

Hey there, I have been trying to implement office 365 so I can have synchronised everything and enjoy the benefits, but have come across a lot of speed bumps on the way. On this one, I need help!

I have several domain names with several accounts on them, probably five email accounts all up, and I would like them to all have their own Inboxes and Sent Folders. At the moment I have managed to do something with connected accounts which has made it so all emails go into one inbox, but that is confusing and not going to work.

Please let me know how I can have multiple inboxes so I can have a separate inbox for each account. I really hope this isn't going to cost any extra in licensing or anything else.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Joelhill,

Does your meaning each email address are all Office 365 email addresses? As we all know, each license comes with only one user mailbox. However, Office 365 provides Shared Mailbox which doesn't cost license.  

You can create different Shared Mailboxes with each email address for each user, grant Full Access permission to them, and then open the Shared Mailboxes as additional mailboxes in Outlook. This would be able to achieve your requirement with multiple accounts in Outlook and only one license.

About how to create Shared Mailbox, please refer to the article below:

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/Ee441202.aspx

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

All Replies
  • Hello Joel,

There is no license requirement to rule the incoming email from different connected accounts into its separate folders.

You can use the Inbox rule It was sent or received through this account and specify the e-mail address of your connected account to move messages from that account to the folder you specify in your mailbox. For the detailed guide of inbox rule, you may refer the following link, http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/bb899620.aspx

Thanks,
    Lester Zhang

• So as opposed to having several accounts under your user profile, you need to make folders and set inbox rules to send emails from different accounts to separate folders. Unlike when we are using pop, we have our own personal folders section for each account, we need to have one personal folders set, with folders made with inbox rules to divert emails.

I don't know if I like that too much, but I think that's what you are getting at. Is it the same with Google apps? Can you only have one set of personal folders per account with google apps?

• Hi Joel,

The idea of the connected account is to provide the single point for access to all your email accounts (Office 365 account and other email accounts), so when you access your Office 365 account, through Outlook 2007/2010(for desktop computer), Outlook Web App (for almost all browsers), ActiveSync clients (for mobile devices with compliant app), you can handle the emails for all your email accounts. The inbox rule is to help you organize your email base on the accounts, so you will get a clear picture of which account you are working with.

In Outlook 2007/2010, you can still add Office 365 account and all other emails accounts in the same profile, so all the emails accounts will be displayed at the left panel with its own folder set, but it only works for Outlook 2007/2010.

I am not familiar with Google Apps, if you want to achieve some specific functions, please provide more detailed description.

Thanks,
    Lester Zhang

• I am running office 2010 and just want to have my email addresses in their own folder sets without having all email addresses moved into the same inbox. I can see how setting a rule on each incoming email address would forward the mail to the appropriate folders, but I was hoping that I could have my own set of folders for each individiual email account for each user (every user will have around three email accounts from different domains).

If there is some kind of differentiation from the appearance of one single inbox in outlook web app and the appearance in outlook 2010 please let me know. But I am assuming that if I am to connect outlook 2010 to my 365 account, I will get the same folders and similar restrictions that I am experiencing on the web app - which is one inbox, one sent items and one set of general folders that is to encompass all folders.

I would really like to separate my three domains with my three addresses (for four users) into their own folders which can help me differentiate between the accounts that are sending and receiving. If I must do this via inbox rules, with incoming emails going to certain accounts going to certain folders and outgoing emails from certain accounts going to certain outgoing folders I guess I can do that, but it seems entirely unpractical to have to do this instead of having a dedicated set of folders for each address for sending and receiving.

• Hi Joelhill,

Multiple email accounts can be added in to Outlook 2010 and they will be shown with separate folders for each.

For the detailed steps about how to add an email account into Outlook 2010, please refer to the article below:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/add-or-remove-an-email-account-HA010354414.aspx?CTT=1

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• I know that you can add multiple accounts to outlook, but each license for 365 seems to come with only one inbox and sent items and deleted items. I was really hoping that there was a way to have an inbox, sent items, deleted items, etc. for each email address just like having multiple accounts in outlook via pop mail. Lester seems to think that is impossible, which is such a shame. I will tell my client that he must do his email through diversions to folders via inbox rules, or maybe look at google apps and see if that has a solution that fits my needs more appropriately.

I am so surprised that the simple task of having separated sections for each email account is not a simple option for 365. Seems like a really bizarre oversight to me.

• Hi Joelhill,

Does your meaning each email address are all Office 365 email addresses? As we all know, each license comes with only one user mailbox. However, Office 365 provides Shared Mailbox which doesn't cost license.  

You can create different Shared Mailboxes with each email address for each user, grant Full Access permission to them, and then open the Shared Mailboxes as additional mailboxes in Outlook. This would be able to achieve your requirement with multiple accounts in Outlook and only one license.

About how to create Shared Mailbox, please refer to the article below:

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/Ee441202.aspx

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Was the shared mailbox solution helpful?

Thanks,
    Lester Zhang

• I just want to have verification that there is no way to set up separate email accounts with seperate inboxes in Office365. I have read the work arounds but these are really cumbersome (and shared files have inherent restrictions.) I want to be able to have separate inboxes like in the desktop version of Outlook 2010. If this is not an option, I probably will not be continuing Office365 after the initial trial and I too will be exploring other platforms like Google. Please confirm.

• Hi CLA,

Actually there is a different method to open other mailboxes in OWA in Office 365. To do so, please login OWA, click the dropdown menu at the top right corner as the picture below:

Click "Open Other Mailbox", and you should be able to enter the mailboxes you owned full access permission.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.