Migration Errors and O365 phone support no help.

This question is answered This question is answered

Alright I'm back again this time with errors during a migration.

Going from SBS 03 to O365 E2.  Did a "simple" migration and had errors regarding email message size.  Had our technicians go to each client computer and remove messages larger than 4500KB to a folder on the desktop.  Cleared out ALL users/mailboxes from O365 and re-did another migration.  Unfortunately, got the same errors regarding mailbox sizes and figured out that the techs weren't searching the entire mail folder for users, only their inbox.

This time I called the O365 support line after creating a ticket.  First, they told me to just start another migration without doing anything to the users (moving, renaming, etc) on O365.  That, unfortunately didn't work either as I was still getting the mailbox size errors.  I called back explaining the situation and they told me to delete the problematic users from O365 and make sure their mailboxes were deleted as well and then run a new migration.  I just did that around 1:30am and waking up this morning I have new errors as follows:

For some of the original error users I get this:

An internal error has occurred. If this error occurs frequently, contact Microsoft Support.

For others I get this: The name "username" is already being used. Please try another name.  (username obviously changed to the actual mailbox name).

Is there any possible way I can get these last 20 mailboxes done before the weekend without having to export their mailboxes to PST and then import them into Outlook?  20 Mailboxes is quite a bit to do and I've already had enough fun with this silly migration.

Thank you for any assistance.

Verified Answer
  • Lester,

I've sent  you the service request.  I went ahead and did a completely new migration by removing all users and mailboxes from the O365 admin area.  Then went to the owa site, managed my company, new migration and went through the migration for "Ex 2003 or later".  This time it seems that it went very well.  Out of 60 users I only have 3 errors still pertaining to message sizes.

Lester, I know you say that the message size on O365 is 25MB but I think that is excluded from the migration limit.  I've done this migration sequence so many times and only 2 of our users actually had an email message in their mailbox that was greater than 23MB which was removed and the first couple of times I did this migration nearly half of my users received this error:

Error: This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of large items that were specified for this request. --> MapiExceptionMaxSubmissionExceeded: Unable to save changes. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1242)

Diagnostic context:

Lid: 45095   EMSMDB.EcDoRpcExt2 called [length=146]

Lid: 61479   EMSMDB.EcDoRpcExt2 returned [ec=0x0][length=1407][latency=0]

Lid: 23226   --- ROP Parse Start ---

Lid: 27962   ROP: ropSetProps [10]

Lid: 27962   ROP: ropSaveChangesMessage [12]

Lid: 17082   ROP Error: 0x4DA    

Lid: 18273  

Lid: 21921   StoreEc: 0x4DA    

Lid: 31418   --- ROP Parse Done ---

Lid: 21457  

Lid: 19665   StoreEc: 0x4DA    

When I first received this error I did some browsing on these message boards and generally in Google and found quite a few posts that saw they removed all emails that were 5MB (five, not twenty five) or bigger although nobody had pointed to their reasoning.  So I did have my techs go around to each client workstation and pull out those emails >5MB and that seemed to work the 3rd time around.

Now that the migration says it's complete I have another question regarding the CVS log files.  I'm looking at the "MigrationStatistics.csv" file and there are about 8 users that have a status of "partially complete".  What does this mean?  Will they resume?  The ItemsMigrated count doesn't seem to help much.  I'm generally just using their mailbox size in O365 and comparing it to my on-prem server.

All Replies

• In case you decide to look at this route again you can use PowerShell to extend the 'largeitemlimit' variable:

new-MoveRequest -identity $_.UserPrincipalName -Remote -RemoteHostName 'mail.domain.com' -RemoteCredential $cred -TargetDeliveryDomain 'service.domain.com' -BadItemLimit 10 -LargeItemLimit 20

The move request through the EMC or simple move request won't allow you to change this limit or the bad item limit which can be quite a pain.

Thanks,

• As it relates to the 'user already exists' problem. This can happen because even though you delete the item in O365 it takes time for that deletion to replicate on the back end, usually a call to Support to have them forcefully purge the account or just wait a bit.

Thanks,

• Well since I have replies I guess I'll go ahead and add some more questions.

I got in touch with phone support again and the guy wouldn't help me because he said SBS 03 wasn't supported.  So i cleared out ALL users and etc again.  Tried doing an IMAP move and that's having issues also.  These aren't local server issues, they are my misunderstanding and the documentation not being very friendly.

Have either of you two used the EMC simple migration to go from SBS 2003 to O365?  Did it work for you in the end?  I'm doing only a single user migration now with a test of IMAP and that seems to be working so far but if I were to give the EMC way and try again what would be the steps involved?  Deleting ALL user accounts/mailboxes on the O365 portal and waiting for an hour then creating a new simple migration?  Or is there a better way I should go about doing this?

I would obviously prefer going the route of EMC as it migrates contacts AND calendar entries but I can't imagine doing this process over and over again.

Originally when it failed with the message size limit errors I called tech support but had no real answer.  If by some unhappy grace of God that I do get errors pertaining to the LargeLimit item how do I 'redo' those mailboxes that failed after fixing them on the client side?  Do I just leave the migration alone and wait the 24 hour period in which the migration is supposed to check for changed items or do I delete the user mailbox and start a new migration after the original one completes even if it has errors?

• Hi,

I have something to confirm first, do you mean Cutover Exchange Migration when you refer EMC/simple migration?

For the user conflict issue, the best way is to remove the users which has been created through Office 365 portal and re-run the migration again in current situation. You may need to wait some time to let the deletion process to finish the job, like Jorge mentioned.

The message size limit is 25MB in Office 365, so you need to make sure all messages in the mailbox is smaller than 25 MB. Considering the extra message header size, you may even need to set the threshold to a lower value. You may check the following list for reference, http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd630704.aspx

Since you have already opened a case, I would like to request the service request number through private message. You can go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site, click Private messages, click the subject title of the response to read the message. You can reply by using the form in this display, click Submit Reply.

Thanks,

Lester Zhang

• Lester,

I've sent  you the service request.  I went ahead and did a completely new migration by removing all users and mailboxes from the O365 admin area.  Then went to the owa site, managed my company, new migration and went through the migration for "Ex 2003 or later".  This time it seems that it went very well.  Out of 60 users I only have 3 errors still pertaining to message sizes.

Lester, I know you say that the message size on O365 is 25MB but I think that is excluded from the migration limit.  I've done this migration sequence so many times and only 2 of our users actually had an email message in their mailbox that was greater than 23MB which was removed and the first couple of times I did this migration nearly half of my users received this error:

Error: This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of large items that were specified for this request. --> MapiExceptionMaxSubmissionExceeded: Unable to save changes. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1242)

Diagnostic context:

Lid: 45095   EMSMDB.EcDoRpcExt2 called [length=146]

Lid: 61479   EMSMDB.EcDoRpcExt2 returned [ec=0x0][length=1407][latency=0]

Lid: 23226   --- ROP Parse Start ---

Lid: 27962   ROP: ropSetProps [10]

Lid: 27962   ROP: ropSaveChangesMessage [12]

Lid: 17082   ROP Error: 0x4DA    

Lid: 18273  

Lid: 21921   StoreEc: 0x4DA    

Lid: 31418   --- ROP Parse Done ---

Lid: 21457  

Lid: 19665   StoreEc: 0x4DA    

When I first received this error I did some browsing on these message boards and generally in Google and found quite a few posts that saw they removed all emails that were 5MB (five, not twenty five) or bigger although nobody had pointed to their reasoning.  So I did have my techs go around to each client workstation and pull out those emails >5MB and that seemed to work the 3rd time around.

Now that the migration says it's complete I have another question regarding the CVS log files.  I'm looking at the "MigrationStatistics.csv" file and there are about 8 users that have a status of "partially complete".  What does this mean?  Will they resume?  The ItemsMigrated count doesn't seem to help much.  I'm generally just using their mailbox size in O365 and comparing it to my on-prem server.

• Hi,

It's glad to hear that you have successfully migrated the mailboxes to Office 365.

The partially complete in the migration report means there are some items have been skipped due to some reasons. If you check the skipped items, you will see the value is not 0 like other users with status as complete. Usually, this value is not high(1 or 2 in most circumstances) which means only limited items have been skipped.

Thanks,

Lester Zhang

• Hi ETP-IT

I did exactly as you did over a weekend of many hours; on the Sunday morning I discovered 3679182.weebly.embed.tal.ki/.../migrating-the-easy-way-813372   Trust me - the cost per mailbox is worth it when you consider all of the hours you invest in getting everything right ! This tool provides set and forget - like go back to sleep and wake up to moved mail.

Cheers

Callum

• Hi EPT-IT,

Just checking in to see whether the information was helpful. Please let us know whether you would like additional help.
    Thanks,

Lester Zhang