No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Error 0x80048002 when syncing Outlook

This question is answered This question is answered

Hello,

 

I just converted a client to Office 365, very smooth implementation and the client is pleased.  All the users are using Outlook 2007 at their desktops.  After a week follow-up I found one user was only using the OWA version because their Outlook was not syncing.  Looking into it the users Outlook would sync to 61% then freeze, crash and give the error 0x80048002.  When looking into that error code it seems to be an error related to a POP3 account.  We are not running POP, we are connected directly to Office 365 Exchange.  I have blew out the users Outlook profile and rebuild only to get the same error.  Oh, her OS is Win7 Home.  I have to explain the client went out and purchased two system with out consulting, they were all excited of the price, little have they realized they have paid twice the saving to keep them running on a Windows network.

 

Thank you,

wallnwall

Verified Answer
  • HI Wallnwall,

    Generally, this kind of issue was coming from outlook configuration or system corruption and could be related to Office365 email account. To isolate the problem, please try following:
        - Create the email profile on other workstation and test the status of the email service.  Maybe you can also post the result here.

    We assume the user account was working properly on other workstation, we try to do the following steps:
    Outlook 2007
    1. On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
    2. Click the Data Files tab, and then make sure that Mailbox - account name is set as the default.
    3. Click the E-mail tab.
    4. Click Mailbox - account name, and then click Settings.
    5. Click the Advanced tab, verify that the Use Cached Exchange Mode option is selected, and then click OK.
    6. In the Account Settings dialog box, click Close.
    7. Exit Outlook, and then reopen Outlook

    Regard the “error code 0x80048002” you mentioned above , you can see the following articles for additional help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842284

     

    Best Regards

     

  • Neo Zhu,

    Well, I got the users Outlook to sync to Exchange this morning.  I remove the Outlook account and OST file, then ran the utility in article support.microsoft.com/.../842284 to replace damaged Exchange Server support files.  Then I recreated the Outlook account for the user.

All Replies
  • I've seen this on an on premise Exchange Server where a garbage email got hung in there. You could maybe try archiving the mail and get it out of the main mailbox and see if it will sync.

  • HI Wallnwall,

    Generally, this kind of issue was coming from outlook configuration or system corruption and could be related to Office365 email account. To isolate the problem, please try following:
        - Create the email profile on other workstation and test the status of the email service.  Maybe you can also post the result here.

    We assume the user account was working properly on other workstation, we try to do the following steps:
    Outlook 2007
    1. On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
    2. Click the Data Files tab, and then make sure that Mailbox - account name is set as the default.
    3. Click the E-mail tab.
    4. Click Mailbox - account name, and then click Settings.
    5. Click the Advanced tab, verify that the Use Cached Exchange Mode option is selected, and then click OK.
    6. In the Account Settings dialog box, click Close.
    7. Exit Outlook, and then reopen Outlook

    Regard the “error code 0x80048002” you mentioned above , you can see the following articles for additional help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842284

     

    Best Regards

     

  • hi Wallnwall,

    Does the reply answer your question?

    Thanks.   

  • Hello Neo Zhu,

     

    Yes, your assumption is correct all other users are working properly on all other workstations.  I loaded the users profile a laptop, Win7 Enterprise with Outlook 07, it loaded right up with no syncing issues.

     

    Rechecking the users Outlook 2007 configuration:

     

    Mailbox – account name is set as default

    Cached Exchange Mode option is checked

     

    At the end of the article support.microsoft.com/.../842284 there are steps to complete remove all evidence of the ost file, I will be doing this to the system to night.  They had a big project that they wanted to finish before I started tweaking items on the system.  I will post the result after I finish.

  • Neo Zhu,

    Well, I got the users Outlook to sync to Exchange this morning.  I remove the Outlook account and OST file, then ran the utility in article support.microsoft.com/.../842284 to replace damaged Exchange Server support files.  Then I recreated the Outlook account for the user.

  • hi Bryan,

    I am glad to hear that .

    Thanks.