No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

The WebReady Document Viewing service isn't working correctly because an error occurred

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I recently upgraded my computer with new everything....Windows 7 64, new motherboard, drive, RAM, ect.  Now when I try to preview my attachments in browser, I get this message..... The WebReady Document Viewing service isn't working correctly because an error occurred

I'm able to download them and view, but I used to be able to open them directly in the mail??

All Replies
  • Hi PaluzTV,

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about  the WebReady Document viewing.

WebReady Document Viewing is a method of accessing attachments. This means that you need to decide how to grant access to attachments.  It is perfectly valid to prevent users from opening or saving attachments, but still allow them to see the WebReady version of the supported types.Please refer the following Link:

Configure WebReady Document Viewing

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Thanks Keats...how do I get to the server configuration in the console?  

• Hi PaluzTV,

Thank you for your response. 

Please use the PowerShell to configure attachment policy settings for Outlook Web App.Run following cmdlet.

1.Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted
    [Y] Yes  [N] No  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

2.$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell/ -Credential Get-Credential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

3.Import-PSSession $Session

4.Enable-OrganizationCustomization

5.Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -Identity OwaMailboxPolicy-Default -AllowedFileTypes .pdf
    Types contain pdf,docx,txt etc.

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Hi PaluzTV,

What are the things going?Isn't the issue resolved?

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Hi Keats,

I have been trying to find out more about PowerShell.  Sorry for my ignorance, but my computer knowledge only goes so far!  Is there a way for you to give me detailed instructions on how to use it?  Thanks!

• Hi PaluzTV,

Thank you for your response.

Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language designed for system administration.About how to use it,please see:

Use Windows PowerShell to manage Office 365

Windows PowerShell cmdlets for Office 365

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Hi PaluzTV,

What are the things going?Does the information useful?

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Thanks for checking in Keats...I'm still waiting for a friend of mine to help me out with PowerShell, but I'll keep you posted!

• Hi PaluzTV,

Thanks for your update, if you have any questions in using PowerShell, please feel free to post it here in the forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Reference
    ========
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/Cc546278.aspx

Thanks,
    Eric Sun

• Hi PaluzTV,

What are the things going?Isn't the issue resolved?

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Hi Keats...thanks for checking in...I'm still out for a few weeks, but once I return and try the updates I'll keep you posted.  Thanks.

• Hi PaluzTV,

Thank you for update.Looking forward to your good news.

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Hi,

I think this is disabled due to this security vulnerability that was discovered recently:

technet.microsoft.com/.../ms12-058

I am guessing that as soon as those patches are applied to all servers it will be working again.

• Thanks Stefan...yes I found this also.  Keats, I tried the PowerShell approach, but it did not fix it.  It looks like I may have to wait!

In Office 365 the capability to view Microsoft Office attachments (doc, ppt, xls, etc.) in a browser is provided using WAC (Web Access Components, mainly used by ‘Office Web Apps’). This is available in the service today. The capability to view PDF attachments in a browser is provided using 'WebReady Document Viewing' (Ref: help.outlook.com/.../gg192743.aspx). Currently the 'WebReady Document Viewing' feature has been disabled as Microsoft Online Service Operations was notified that there was a vulnerability in a component provided by a 3rd party licensed by Microsoft. Being very cautious and to quickly mitigate any possible impact from this issue, Microsoft has disabled this feature in the online service. Users will still be able to view Office & PDF attachments by downloading the attachments or by using the Outlook client. The Microsoft team is working to test and deploy the corrective patches so that we can re-enable the preview feature as soon as possible. I will update the thread when this feature is available again.

Amir Haque

Sr. Program Manager, Product Quality

Exchange Client Access Scenarios

• Hi PaluzTV,

Thank you for your update.

I am looking for your next update.

Thanks,

Keats Ge