No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Does a Cutover Migration MOVE or COPY data from local Exchange to Online

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi chaps

Quick question.

About to start a Cutover migration for a small SBS 2003 Exchange Server.

I need to know when i run the first migration step does the mail from our on site Exchange 2003 Server get copied to the cloud or does it get MOVED to the cloud.

I need to ensure the local Exchange Data does not get deleted as we require to keep the exchange locally, we will just shut all of it down once all users are online.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • Hi rogerp,

I am writting to follow up the progress of this post, did the above answer your question?

If it answer your question, I would like to suggest you mark it as answer so that other communities can easily find the answer when they searching the same issue in this community. Thank you for yoru understanding.

If there are any questions, please feel free to post.

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao

All Replies
  • Hi rogerp,

After the initial synchronization process and mailboxes are successfully provisioned and migrated, the mailboxes in the on-premises Exchange organization and the corresponding cloud-based mailboxes are synchronized every 24 hours. This is called incremental synchronization. This means that any new messages sent to the mailboxes on the Exchange server are copied to the corresponding cloud-based mailboxes. Incremental synchronization continues until the administrator completes the overall migration.

For more detailed information, please refer the links below:

Cutover Exchange migration

Migrate All Mailboxes to the Cloud with a Cutover Exchange Migration

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao

• Thanks,

I've seen that but it still does not aswer my question.

I need to know if the migration takes the data out of my exchange server or copies it ?

• Hi rogerp, 

Do you mean the existed emails in your on-premise exchange server? 

After the mailboxes are successfully migrated, the existed emails are copied/synced to the cloud-based mailbox from your on-premise exchange server.  

After the migration completed, and we pointed the MX record to Office 365 Exchange Online, then the new emails will be delivered to cloud-based mailbox directly other than on-premise server. 

If there are any unclear or questions, please feel free to post. 

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao
  • Hi Jolin,

I have been looking at this one and searching a fair bit.  I think what Roger means is are the items in the mailbox prior to the migration copied over to 365 or are they removed from the originale mailbox and moved.  Leaving only new email being copied.

From what I have read, it would suggest that all items existing and new are copied.

• Hi Richard,

Yes, you are right. Both of the existing emails and new emails are copied to cloud-based mailbox.

With the initial synchronization of the migration process, the existing emails are copied to cloud-based mailbox, after that, the new emails send to on-premise exchange server are synced to the cloud-based mailbox every 24 hours, this is the incremental synchronization that we said.

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao
  • Thanks all.

Yes, i have been trying to get a simple confirmation that the migration does not remove or delete any data kept on my local server?

I have been asked to make sure all data on the current on premises exchange server never gets deleted.  

The Exchange Services will simply be stopped so they are never accessed once the migration is complete.

• Hi rogerp,

You can keep the data for back up purpose. You can also delete all the data for mailboxes after the migration is finished. You can uninstall Exchange from your servers and remove your on-premises Exchange organization.

You can refer the last section of the Cutover Migration help article in the following link.

help.outlook.com/.../ms.exch.ecp.emailmigrationwizardexchangelearnmore.aspx

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Hi rogerp,

How are things going? Do you need any further assistance?

If you have any questions, please feel free to post here. We are happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Jolin Qiao

• Hi Join,

Please confirm the migration does not remove data from the local exchange server ?

Thanks

• Hi rogerp,

Cutover do not delete any data from the on-premise Exchange Server.  As I previously posted, it just sync all data of on-premise mailbox to cloud-based mailbox. After the migration completed, you can keep or delete the data as Ray mentioned, it's all depend on your requirement.

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao

• Hi rogerp,

I am writting to follow up the progress of this post, did the above answer your question?

If it answer your question, I would like to suggest you mark it as answer so that other communities can easily find the answer when they searching the same issue in this community. Thank you for yoru understanding.

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao

• Yes, thanks, the cutover does not remove any data from the local exchange database.

Thanks Again

• Rogerp, I'm looking to do the same thing here.  I've had problems with the staged migration so I'd like to just do the cutover migration.  I was concerned about the email being deleted out of the local exchange server because we wouldn't be quite ready to flip the switch.  I just wanted to get some, if not all, mailboxes setup in office 365 so I could test.  After running the initial batch, were your users able to open Outlook and still see all their email on the local side?

• Hi Jon,

As discussed above, during theCutover Migration, all emails of your on-premise mailbox will be synced to cloud-based mailbox, it will not be deleted.

If you have encounter any issue during the migration, I would like to suggest you post your issue with detailed information in a new thread for a dedicated support.

Thanks,
    Jolin Qiao

• Hi Jon,

Yes the staged migration I found to be a nightmare, we got stuck on the converting mailboxes to MEU Part, I went as far as logging a ticket with MS, they even escaleted it and then they never got back to me, the case is still open but they are just not getting back to me as they are also stuck, its a shame.  

The cut over method is much easier, and dont worry it does not delete or move anything to do with your local exchange server data.