No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

need to use journalling mailbox

This question is answered This question is answered

i know for journalling i need an external account  i.e. a journalling mailbox should be an external email address  so i created an account neal@mycommunity.onmicrosoft.com , for that purpose.,it's not working.

i don't want to use a pop account , is there any way  to enable journalling on this account.

thank you.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Natasha,

I understand that you would like to know how to enable journaling on the mailbox neal@mycommunity.onmicrosoft.com.

The message you receive when you attempt to add an address to journaling isn't throwing you off: it's only going to accept a mail-enabled user (not mailbox enabled, but rather something like a DL), a contact, or an external address.  Thus, you're going to be unable to point the journaling rule to an O365 mailbox.  The journaling functionality exists to allow users to use 3rd-party journaling services that actually fall within standardized archiving compliances. To test the functionality, create a rule that points to some external (Hotmail, Gmail, whatever) mailbox. 

EHA is currently the supported Microsoft solution for archiving, if you're interested into looking into that.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

All Replies
  • Hi Natasha,

I understand that you would like to know how to enable journaling on the mailbox neal@mycommunity.onmicrosoft.com.

The message you receive when you attempt to add an address to journaling isn't throwing you off: it's only going to accept a mail-enabled user (not mailbox enabled, but rather something like a DL), a contact, or an external address.  Thus, you're going to be unable to point the journaling rule to an O365 mailbox.  The journaling functionality exists to allow users to use 3rd-party journaling services that actually fall within standardized archiving compliances. To test the functionality, create a rule that points to some external (Hotmail, Gmail, whatever) mailbox. 

EHA is currently the supported Microsoft solution for archiving, if you're interested into looking into that.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Natasha,

I would like to follow up with the question you posted previously. Does the reply above answer your question?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• what is eha

• Hi Elizabeth,

I understand that you have questions about using Office 365. To better follow up with your question, I suggest posting a new question with the detailed description about your requirement, and the error message that appeared. This will keep a complete and clear troubleshooting process for your specific question.

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Monica,

Can you elaborate on the difference between a mail-enabled user and a mailbox-enabled user? And what do you mean by "DL"?

Thanks,

Sam

• Hi Sam,

Mail-enabled users are users that have mail residing on an external system. They are security principals and can log in to the Domain. Mailbox-enabled users are users that have mailbox on external system. DL means that Distribution List.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong