No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Failed to update the on-premises mailbox with the target address.

This question is answered This question is answered

when i migrated one user exchange 2010 to office 365 i got below error message

Failed to update the on-premises mailbox with the target address (SMTP:KyleW.Lang@Camstar.onmicrosoft.com). The mail sent to the user will not reach user's hosted mailbox. The error might be due to account credentials used for migration not having enough permission to write data back into the on-premise AD. Please ensure that the account credential has Domain Admin privilege.

any help on this error message

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi S.Mishra,

Thanks for posting here. I understand that you are doing a staged Exchange Migration, and I would like to confirm the following additional information:
     1.Did you create a .csv similar to feed to the migration tool?
     2.Did you assign the super-user or administrator account permissions to access mailboxes in your Exchange organization?

I think the root cause should be lack of permission for the super user. Exchange Control Panel-based migrations of on-premises mailbox data require that an account that has full access to the on-premises environment be used when the migration is performed. Use the following resources to confirm that your on-premises environment is configured correctly. Be aware that the migration service account will require the Receive As permission to the mailbox database or the Full Access permission to the individual mailbox that has to be migrated.
    For Exchange Server 2007:
    Use the Add-MailboxPermission cmdlet to add permissions to a mailbox
    How to allow mailbox access

For Exchange Server 2003:
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article 268754 - How to assign users or groups full access to other user mailboxes
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article 821897 - How to assign service account access to all mailboxes in Exchange Server 2003

After that, please re-run the staged migration.

Additional information:
    =====================================================
    Plan for User Identity in a Staged Exchange Migration:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exchangelabshelp/hh312791
    Migrate a Subset of Mailboxes to the Cloud with a Staged Exchange Migration:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exchangelabshelp/ff959224

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

• Hi S.Mishra,

How are things going on your side? I do not mean to push you. If you need further assistance on this issue, please don't hesitate to post back.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu

• thaks for the help

as i am working on this issue and applying all info which you suggested in the post.

thanks,

Sachin

• Hi Sachin,

Thanks for your reply. If you have any other questions when using Office 365 in the future. Please feel free to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu