No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Exchange 2010 Extend Schema - Now I Can't Copy Users

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I have an odd issue.

We ran through a staged migration from Exchange 2003 to Office365 which seemed to be successful.

I then went ahead and decommissioned our Exchange 2003 mail server only to find I could no longer manage proxy addresses through ADUC I have to use adsiedit (OUCH) however I could copy user accounts when creating new users.

I was advised by MS that if I were to upgrade my schema to Exchange 2010 I would then have the ability to manage proxy addresses without using ADSI however that was not the case without an actual on premise exchange server.

Anyways so I'm now left with an extended schema and now I cannot copy user accounts. I get the following error:

"Windows cannot create the object <User> because the name reference is invalid"

How do I get this ability back?

Uninstalling exchange will not remove the schema as I'm sure you know and I dont think hacking up AD with Adsi is supported so how do I get out of this mess'?

Verified Answer
  • Hi Nazdog,

Does the issue occur with one special user or all the users? To determine the issue, I suggest you try to copy another user, or just create a new user and copy it. If the issue doesn't appear when you copy another or the new user, you can export the detailed attributes information for the problem user and the successful one, compare their attributes, and try to find the root cause.

Additional information:
    ===================
    Using LDIFDE to import and export directory objects to Active Directory:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237677

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Thanks. It was the showinaddressbook field. Once I removed the fields I can now copy users.

Cheers.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Have posted in exchange forums as well. Can anyone answer the question in there?

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../7a448ff6-7af5-4209-90d6-4259b1b93800

• Hi Nazdog,

Thanks for your post. There are two parts of this issue.

First, you have un-installed the Exchange 2003 from your domain. You can't update the proxy address via modify the AD user attribute.

Second, regarding the error message you mentioned "Windows cannot create the object <User> because the name reference is invalid" , do you encounter this error message on dirsync tools or on MOP?

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Nazdog,

How are you doing? I am just writing to see if there is any progress on this issue. I do not mean to push you. I just want to ensure that you do not encounter any problems during the troubleshooting. Thank you.

Neo Zhu

• I encounter this error when trying to copy a user in active directory users and computers.

• Hi Nazdog,

Does the issue occur with one special user or all the users? To determine the issue, I suggest you try to copy another user, or just create a new user and copy it. If the issue doesn't appear when you copy another or the new user, you can export the detailed attributes information for the problem user and the successful one, compare their attributes, and try to find the root cause.

Additional information:
    ===================
    Using LDIFDE to import and export directory objects to Active Directory:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237677

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• The problem resides with the "showInAddressBook" field.

For Users who were migrated to Office365 they look to have the following entries, however new users have nothing and their accounts can be copied ok.

Seeing as all of our mail is in the cloud and there is no on premise exchange server can I remove these entries for the migrated users or will this cause problems?

• HI Nazdog ,

There are some attributes will be write back to local AD support.microsoft.com/.../2256198, but it will not cause the user can't be copied.  Is there setup some security option?

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi,

We don't have writeback enabled. We are not in a hybrid scenario. We just finished the migration and now all users are in the cloud.

As stated users who were migrated have data in the atrribute ShowInAddressBook field in AD. Now that everything is in the cloud do they need these attributes or can I safely remove them?

• Hi Nazdoy,

Regarding the writeback action I mentioned, it's a by-default setting by dirsync application and we can't disable that.

As for this case, I have checked the "showinaddressbook" atrribute, currently there is no service or application will modify that value. So if it cause this problem. you can safe remoev that field in AD to ensure the user can be copied.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Nazdoy,

How are you? I'm writing in just want to ensure that all the information is useful you. If you have any questions ,please feel free to post them here.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Thanks. It was the showinaddressbook field. Once I removed the fields I can now copy users.

Cheers.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.