No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook 2010 - Emails "Turning Blank" in Inbox overnight

This question is not answered This question is not answered

Hello Office 365 Forum Members and Microsoft Technical Support Personnel,

General Question:  

How can we prevent emails in User inboxes from "turning blank" overnight?

(Turning Blank = Body of the message is "removed," leaving the email blank.

Attachments and email headers are usually intact.)

Background Information:

Starting at the end of last month (April 2012) emails in User inboxes have been "turning blank" if left in the inbox overnight.

I have tried contacting microsoft technical support via phone and via an online service request, and have not received any useful/ helpful feedback or support.

Overall our company has been very satisfied with the Microsoft products we use however this recent
issue with loss of data and blank emails is having a severe impact on our ability to serve our Client’s needs. Our Business and Service is dependent on email communication to transfer information and process specialized applications. Our average application has over 150 documents that go back and forth between our customers and our business. When emails "turn blank" we have to go back and tell our clients and investors that the correspondence and information shared is “BLANK.” When we have to routinely request that they resend the information, we lose credibility. This technical deficiency has hurt our reputation and has had a negative impact on how our clients perceive us. It is imperative to our line of business that this matter is resolved quickly.

What we have tried already:

1. Opening Outlook in safe mode.

2. Viewing email profiles via Online Web Access.

3. Repairing the Outlook profile

4. Making Outlook accounts "online." (Non "Cached Exchange Mode.")

5. Removing and re-creating the Outlook profiles on the user's computers.

6. Opening the email profiles on other computers.

Software Specifics Etc.:

We currently use the following on all computers.

1. Internet Explorer 9

2. Windows 7

3. Outlook 2010 (All our Microsoft Office products are 2010.)

4. Enterprise (E1) Microsoft 365 Subscription for all users.

Each User has access to/ uses at least: SharePoint, Lync, Outlook, Excel, Word.

Please let me know if you need any further information to assist in solving this problem.

Thank you,

Bethany AC

All Replies
  • Hi Bethany,

I understand the issue is the email contents “turning blank” with your users’ inbox.

To quick address and resolve this issue, as you have opened a Service Request with our support engineer, I’d like you can keep troubleshooting this issue with our Service Request support engineer.

Meanwhile, I will send a private message to you to request the Service Request number, so that I can help monitor the Service Request for you.

To access the private message:
    1. Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
    2. Click Private messages.
    3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

If there is something you need us to follow up, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi Bethany,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

With the information provided in your private message, I checked your SR in our system. I find that your ticket’s status is open, and it is under investigating with our technical engineer now. Therefore, I’d like you can keep troubleshooting this issue with our engineer, and wait for a longer time for our engineer to contact you. They will contact you as soon as they can.

If you have anything that you need us to follow up, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• having the same exact problem here. please post answer if something found thanks

• Hello Mr. Bello,

I have not yet found a permanent solution to this problem. I have, however, found a workaround. (See details below.)

Because emails in folders have not turned blank in inbox subfolders, I created rules that move inbox message to an inbox subfolder.

(See instructions below.)

1. Open the Outlook profile have the problem with emails turning blank in the inbox.

2. Create a subfolder that will be at the top of your inbos subfolders.

a. For example "0 Inbox" (This will act as your new inbox.)

3. Create rules to move emails from "Inbox" to "0 Inbox"

a. Click on "Rules" --> "Create Rule" --> "Advanced Opetions

b. Check the box that says: "Where my name is in the To or CC box."

c. Click "Next" --> Check "Move to Specified folder"

d. Click on the blue "Specified Folder" link.

e. Specify the folder you created. (0 Inbox)

f.  Click "Next" --> "Next"

g. If desired, name your rule.

h. Click "Finish"

i.  Repeat steps a. though h. replacing step b. with: [Check the box that says "Where my name is not in the "To" box."]

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Bethany

• Hi Bethany,

Thanks for sharing your method.

In addition, I have replied your private message, please check it on your side.

@Mr.Bello, if you need any further assistance, pleas feel free to respond.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Hi Bethany,

Some error occurs when I Check the SR number, therefore, I'd like to confirm if the issue have been resolved, and do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Hello Evan,

The answer they provided was that it was being caused by an antivirus system. The problem was that I had uninstalled the antivirus software and the problem was still occuring. (Perhaps a residual of the program remained?) I am no computer expert but it doesn't seem like that is really a plausible cause of the problem given that the anti-virus software was removed.

That being said, I am using the work-around and have not had any problems since.

~Bethany

• Hi Bethany,

I'm glad to hear there is no problem with using the work-around, thanks for sharing your experience in the forum.

If you have any other questions when using Office 365, please feel free to post your questions in the forum, we are more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang