Publishing Exchange 2003 with TMG and Exchange 2010 for Office 365

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Publishing Exchange 2003 with TMG and Exchange 2010 for Office 365

I have configured Coexistence with 2003 network, All is working fine except the redirection from external clients.

DC

Exchange 2003 Server – OWA

DirSync

ADFS1A

ADFS1B

Exchange 2010A - OWA

Exchange 2010B – OWA

• Free/Busy Working Fine
  • OWA for Exchange 2010 URL working Fine
  • Autodiscover Working fine for Exchange 2010
  • Mailbox Migrations Working
  • NLB HUB Transport Working

The issue in simple format is that to publish Exchange 2003 through TMG you select Basic Authentication on the IIS settings and on the TMG Server. As Forms Based is already enabled on TMG if you were to configure this on the exchange 2003 server it will cause conflicts. Once I set this up I can browse internally and externally to the Exchange 2003 URL and OWA worked fine.

After I setup Coexistence Server and published them through TMG which allows access through to 2010 and Office 365 users.

Next steps are to enable Forms Based on exchange 2003 and enter the redirection PowerShell command on the exchange 2010 server. After doing this these were the results of the OWA browse.

Internally

Exchange 2010 URL with Exchange 2003 User Credentials Entered

-          The Redirection worked fine and Exchange OWA loaded up

Exchange 2010 URL with Exchange Online User Credentials Entered

-          Redirected to the online OWA working fine.

Externally

Exchange 2010 URL with Exchange 2003 User Credentials Entered

-          The redirection worked but now that I have configure Forms Based it does not sign into OWA as there is now a conflict.

Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The pipe is being closed. (232)

Exchange 2010 URL with Exchange Online User Credentials Entered

-          Redirected to the online OWA working fine.

Exchange 2003 URL

Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The pipe is being closed. (232)

Does anyone know a way round this, as the only option I can currently see after a long time troubleshooting and trial and error is to have two URLS one 2003 and one for 2010/Office365?

All Replies
  • How did you configure your owa url and TMG publish policy?

Generally, you will need 2 URLs, owa.contoso.com for Exchange 2010 and let end users use this one, e2k3owa.contoso.com for Exchange 2003 for the redirection target.

Publish 2 URLs through TMG with pass through authentication.

• Do you mean which Rules I have setup up to Publish Exchange 2003 and 2010?

I have already two URLs:

2003 - Mail.contoso.com/exchange

2010 - smtp.contoso.com/owa

With the redirection setup, I should be able to browse to the 2010 URL and once I enter a users credentials whos mailbox resides on the 2003 database it should redirect me to 2003 URL and sign me in. This works internally but not externally as the TMG cannot publish Exchange 2003 properly with Forms Based turned on wich is required for exchange 2010 redirection to work.

• Well, although the URLs are not usual, these two should work.

Since we can locate the issue with TMG, I think you may take a look at the TMG/UAG publish white paper for Exchange.

go.microsoft.com/fwlink

• Hello LMann,

Yes, to make OWA redirect work, we need to make sure that the FBA is enabled on the Exchange 2003 OWA. From your description, we could know that all the related configurations on the Exchange servers should be correct as the redirect works internally. So the issue now is how to make the TMG work with FBA on Exchange 2003.

Based on my experience, to workaround this the best and easiest option is to configure FBA on CAS and FE servers and do not authentication on the TMG.

Notes: For the further configuration questions on the TMG server, please use the “Forefront TMG and ISA Server” forum which would be the best place for the questions.

Thanks,

Andy Lu

• Cheers for the help I have posted this on the TMG forum, I will keep this open until I have answer.

Liam

• Hi LMann,

Thank you for your info. I understand that you have created a new thread on the TMG forum and would like to keep this thread open.

Per your request, I would keep this thread open and if the issue has been resolved, I appreciate you to share that thread to us.

Thanks,

Andy