No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Global Address List permissions

This question is answered This question is answered

Hello,

I would like my users to be able to modify and add contacts to the Global Address List (external contacts).

How can I give my users permissions to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Verified Answer
  • Hi Alex,

If you can use Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 to access an account, you can move your e-mail, contacts, task, and calendar information from another account that you access using Outlook to that account. You do this by first backing up the data in one account to a Personal Folder (.pst) file and then importing it into the other account.

For the detailed information, see Use Outlook to Move Data Between Accounts.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

All Replies
  • Hi Alex,

There aren’t any specific administrator rights you can set directly to add or modify external contacts. By default, Global administrator is the administrator roles that can add or modify external contacts. However, you can customized RBAC and add users in the customized RBAC to have the rights.

To achieve the result, you need to configure it via PowerShell. The detailed steps are as below:

1). Connect to Exchange online through PowerShell as administrator. 
    You may need to run Enable-OrganizationCustomization first.

2). Create a new management role scope:
     New-ManagementScope -Name MailContacts -RecipientRestrictionFilter {RecipientType -eq "MailContact"}

3). Create two new management roles:

New-ManagementRole -Parent "Mail Recipients" -Name ExternalContacts
    New-ManagementRole -Parent "Mail Recipient Creation" -Name ExternalContactsCreation

4). Determine the management role entries under the newly created management role:

Get-ManagementRoleEntry ExternalContacts\*
    Get-ManagementRoleEntry ExternalContactsCreation\*

5). Keep the only required entries and remove the rest.

For ExternalContacts role, the following entries are required:

Set-Contact
    Get-Contact
    Get-Recipient
    Get-MailContact
    Set-MailContact

For ExternalContactsCreation role, the following entries are required:

Get-MailContact
    New-MailContact
    Remove-MailContact

Then, remove all the unneeded entries from management role.

For example, Add-MailboxFolderPermission entry is not needed in in ExternalContacts role, using the following cmdlet to remove it:
    Remove-ManagementRoleEntry ExternalContacts\Add-MailboxFolderPermission

As the pipeline is not working to pass the unneeded entries to Remove-ManagementRoleEntry cmdlet, the following method would be helpful to ease the whole removal process.

Ran Get-ManagementRoleEntry ExternalContactsCreation\* | FT Name –Autosize > D:\allentries.txt, and get a text file with all entries, paste it to excel sheet in one column, in another column, type Remove-ManagementRoleEntry ExternalContacts\, combine 2 column into 1 and get dozens one-line cmdlets, which are similar to Remove-ManagementRoleEntry ExternalContacts\Add-MailboxFolderPermission, remove the entries that want to keep, paste the cmdlets to PowerShell and hit enter one by one to execute the remove entry cmdlet.

6). Login to Office 365 Online Portal using administrator account, click Manage under Exchange Online, which will lead to Manage My Organization, click Roles & Auditing, under Administrator Roles, click New to create role group, provide a meaningful name such as External Contacts Management, under Write scope, choose MailContacts which created in step 2, under Roles, click Add, choose ExternalContacts and External ContactsCreation that created in step 3, under Members, click Add to add users who will be able to add/edit/delete external contacts, click OK to finish.

Then the user that is added to the ExternalContacts and External ContactsCreation will have rights to add and modify the external contacts.

If any error message appears when performing the above steps, please capture a screenshot and post it in the forum for further research.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Thanks for your answer Monica.

I have a P1 plan. Am I restricted to 50 external contacts?

If yes, this solution is not viable.

I would therefore have to create a shared mailbox and share the contacts for this mailbox, correct?

• Yes, the P1 plan is restricted to 50 external contacts. Your only other viable option would be to create a shared contact list within a licensed user or shared mailbox as you mentioned above.

Thanks,

• Thanks Jorge.

With a shared contact list, any user can add and modify contacts, correct?

Do you have a link with the procedure to use to created such list?

• Yes, if you give that user the proper rights. Here is another thread that has all the steps to do this in PowerShell. You can alternatively open the maibox, right click the contact list and say 'share' then select the user you want to share with and set the rights you want them to have. They will get an email that will allow them to add the contact list into their Outlook view.

• Sorry, forgot the link:

community.office365.com/.../18417.aspx

• Great! I'll check that option.

Thank you very much!

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for Jorge’s suggestions.

If there is any progress after checking the information provided by Jorge, please share with us in the forum.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Alex,

I would like to follow up with the question you posted previously. How are things going?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hello Monica,

now I would like to import a list of contacts to this shared mailbox (contact list).

It seems that I don't have the permissions for that.

I have the same problem that was mentionned here : community.office365.com/.../53559.aspx

Is it possible now to import a list of contacts in a shared mailbox's contact list?

Thanks,

Alex

• Hi Alex,

As far as I know, it’s not available to import a list of contacts in a shared mailbox’s contacts list.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hello Monica,

wow.. I am very disappointed... the advertisement about Office 365 is really pushing about Calendar sharing, Contact sharing and all that...

What are my options besides entering my contacts one by one?

Best regards,

Alex

• Hi Alex,

If you can use Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 to access an account, you can move your e-mail, contacts, task, and calendar information from another account that you access using Outlook to that account. You do this by first backing up the data in one account to a Personal Folder (.pst) file and then importing it into the other account.

For the detailed information, see Use Outlook to Move Data Between Accounts.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Alex,

Does the reply above answer your question?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong