No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Application fails sending emails. How to check if Relaying is allowed in our Exchange server?

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi all,

We have an administrative application in one of our servers that has to send (via SMTP) automatically emails from a generic mail account we had in our old Exchange server. It doesn't work since we migrated to Office 365, we have set up the program with our nex Exchange address:

amsprdXXXX.outlook.com

and the mail account of one of our employees, but the program doesn't send the emails, it has a mail error. After cheking all with the support team of this product, they requested us to be sure that our new Exchange server in the cloud allows Relaying, and I have no idea where to get this information from.

Does anybody have a clue?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Francisco

Verified Answer
  • Hi Franciscoanton,

You may refer the following KB article to do so. However, there were two requirements.

1. TLS encryption must be enabled
    2. The email's "from address" should be the user name of Basic Authentication

How to configure an SMTP relay for Office 365
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600912

Best regards,
    Alex Du

All Replies
  • Hi Franciscoanton,

You may refer the following KB article to do so. However, there were two requirements.

1. TLS encryption must be enabled
    2. The email's "from address" should be the user name of Basic Authentication

How to configure an SMTP relay for Office 365
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600912

Best regards,
    Alex Du

• Hi Alex Du,

I followed all these steps from the guide, but the 3rd party program still showing a SMTP error.

The point is we have checked that the traffic is coming through the firewall to the right IP ( our Office 365 SMTP server address) and with the right TCP port 587. So, the only thing left has to be the TLS, isn't it?

How can I know there is a right TLS connection to our SMTP server?

Thanks.

• Hi FranciscoAnton,

Did you try the steps below in the article?

1. Click Outbound Security, and then configure the following settings:  
    2. Click Basic Authentication.
    3. In the User name box, type the user name of the Office 365 mailbox user.
    4. In the Password box, type the password of the Office 365 mailbox user.
    5. Click to select the TLS encryption check box, and then click OK.

Besides, please confirm that the "FROM" address which generate by the application was same as the SMTP authentication address.

Best regards,
    Alex Du

• Hi FranciscoAnton,

How are things going on your side? If you need further assistance, please let me know. Thanks.

Alex Du

• Hi Alex Du,

Thank you very much! I've checked everything you said and works fantastically.

It is a shame we can't add a different user. The 3rd party application used to send from different mail accounts, now everything has to be sent from the one setup on the IIS. Or there is a possibility to add more accounts able to relay?

Regards,

Francisco

• Hi Francisco,

Unfortunately, there is no way to do so.

Best regards,

Alex Du