Duplicate emails

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi

I have 2 pop3 email accounts under our business domain.  I have also set up a .onmicrosoft email in MS365 to which i have added these 2 accounts.

In outlook, when setting up email accounts, I had to set up 3: the 2 POP3 accounts, and the onmicrosoft email.  This means that i am receiving emails twice: once in the onmicrosoft address (including the 2 accounts), and then separately through each of the two accounts.  

If i delete the 2 POP3 email accounts in Outlook, i am afraid that I won't be able to send emails under those addresses (I do not want to send emails from the onmicrosoft address)

can you help pls?

jack

Verified Answer
  • Hello Jack,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm the current situation.
    You have added 2 POP3 email accounts, such as user@domain.com, as connected accounts to an Office 365 account, such as user@domain.onmicrosoft.com. Moreover, you added all 3 accounts at Outlook. However, you don’t want to receive emails to 2 POP3 mail accounts twice in Outlook. Have I got this right?

If so, as far as I know, you can set the 2 POP3 email accounts as Send-Only account in Outlook. As a result, I suggest you post the detailed information about the requirement, such as a detailed example, in the following forum about Outlook IT Pro Discussions. This is so you will get the better support of the issue.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/

Thanks for understanding,
    Claud

All Replies
  • Hello Jack,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm the current situation.
    You have added 2 POP3 email accounts, such as user@domain.com, as connected accounts to an Office 365 account, such as user@domain.onmicrosoft.com. Moreover, you added all 3 accounts at Outlook. However, you don’t want to receive emails to 2 POP3 mail accounts twice in Outlook. Have I got this right?

If so, as far as I know, you can set the 2 POP3 email accounts as Send-Only account in Outlook. As a result, I suggest you post the detailed information about the requirement, such as a detailed example, in the following forum about Outlook IT Pro Discussions. This is so you will get the better support of the issue.

Claud

• Jack,

Is your goal to get everything from the pop email accounts over to your MS365 and be able to send and receive messages from either of the two accounts?  How many MS365 licenses do you have?  

• Hi Claud

Thanks for responding.  As requested, let me confirm my current situation:

- Yes, I use two pop3 email accounts with our own corporate domains (e.g. name@domain.com.au)

- Yes, I have connected these two accounts to a new Office 365 account such as user@domain.onmicrosoft.com

- Yes, I have also added all these three accounts separately to Outlook (2011 for Mac)

- We have three licenses in our business (although we are still on the free trial)

This means that I am receiving emails from my corporate domains twice: once through the Office365 link, and then through the two accounts separately.

What I want to achieve is to migrate both my pop3 accounts to MSO365 and be able to send and receive messages using those accounts (I don't want to send messages from the onmicrosoft.com address).  

If i deleted the two POP3 accounts in my Outlook, then I would still receive emails sent to those addresses (through the MSO365 link), but I didn't think I would be able to send emails from those addresses.

Does that make sense?

• Hi

Thanks for your reply.  Apologies I wasn't all that clear in my first post.  I have set out more detailed info in my response to Claud, which also seeks to answer your questions.  But, yes, you are spot on.  My goal is to get everything to MS365, but be able to send and receive messages using the linked POP3 accounts

thanks

Jack

• Yes, I understand.  Simple solution would be to leave the MSO365 setup in Outlook as is and remove the two pop3 email accounts.  This way you stop receiving duplicate emails.  When email are sent to either of the pop3 email accounts, MSO365 will retrieve these emails and display them in Outlook for you.  Then you can re-add the two pop3 email accounts into outlook as only sending accounts.  This will give you the ability to choose what email address you would like to send out as.  The down fall to this scenario is that your email is truly not on MSO365.  Pop3 email services usually do not hold a lot of past email and once your client, such as Outlook, download the message from the server it is gone.  So in the event that you lose your laptop, all your past emails are gone.  Also, you are still paying for the pop3 service and the MSO365.

Another, better option would be to migrate the two pop3 email addresses to MSO365 accounts; one for each.  For this scenario, you will need two MSO365 licenses.  Each account has one of the original pop3 email addresses.  Then you setup two accounts in Outlook just like you did already; don’t forget to remove the pop3 connected accounts from your MSO365.  The good news is you will no longer need to pay for the pop3 service and will only have one bill from MSO365, AND all of your email is backed up on MS’s servers and you have access to them via Outlook Web Access.  Now to accomplish this, you will need access to your corporate domains dns settings to point them to MSO365 servers.

The last scenario would be if you wanted the two pop3 email addresses as incoming but only send out on one of those addresses.  For this you still can get rid of the pop3 service and only need one MSO365 license.  You can have that one MSO365 user setup with multiple email addresses.  Let me know which route you would like to take, I can offer more detailed assistance on each one.

The goal would be to move away from the pop3 service and utilize the added features and redundancy of MSO365.

Thank you,

Giuseppe

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Thanks for your suggestions Giuseppe

Options 1 and 2 are feasible (not sure which is better), while Option 3 won't work given both POP3 email accounts remain 'live'.

We do not separately pay for the POP3 email, but it is included in our web hosting cost, so we won't save anything by moving away from POP3 (unless we change service providers)

In relation to Option 1, I think I may still benefit from the MSO365 functionality if I am vigilant in filing into folders that are linked to the MSO365 account.  So if i send an email on my corporate domain account, and then file that sent email into a folder that sits within MSO365, then it will remain there.  I think so anyway...?  How do I set up a POP3 account as a sending account only?

In relation to Option 2, how do i know what are the dns settings for the MSO365 servers so that I can see if this is feasible?  And also, if I set up two MSO365 accounts, will they be consolidated into the one inbox with single folders for filing?

thanks again for responding

Jack

• Setting up the dns settings is very easy.  MSO365 actually walk you through the process depending on which registrar you have.  It is also a two step process so you can complete the first set of steps without causing any down time.  The second set of steps actually move your dns settings so I would hold off on those until you are ready.  To get started, first log into the MSO365 account as the administrator.  Click on Domains on the left hand side of the screen, then click on Add a domain, it will then ask you to enter in the domain name and click next.

The next window will tell you to select a registrar, do this and it will then give you step by step instructions on how to proceed.  Again dont worry you can follow these steps and it will not disrupt any mail flow for your pop3 accounts just yet.

After you make the changes at your registrar, you need to wait about 15 minutes, return back to MSO365 admin and click on Next.

A new screen will ask you what services you plan on using, I just use Exchange so I only checked Exchange and clicked on next.

The next screen is to configure the domain, this is where you will stop if you do not want to make the switch yet.  You can simply click on close.  You can now create two users on your MSO365 account and assign them the existing domain email addresses, but remember mail will not flow to them until you follow the next steps below.

If you are ready you can click on Configure DNS records, it will then give you a few more dns entries you need to make at your registrar, once you make those changes then mail will start to flow to MSO365.  Usually it takes a registrar 15-45 minutes to propagate the changes.  Mine only took a minute.  Make sure that you have each user already created in MSO365 before you make the changes at your registrar.  

To answer your question about setting up your Outlook account to send only, I believe when you do the setup for the account, simply leave the incoming mail server field blank.  Here is a link for that.  www.msoutlook.info/.../308

Your assumptions for option 1 are correct, as long as you are vigilant in filling into folders you will be ok.

Good luck, if you need any assistance feel free to contact me.

Giuseppe

• Hi Giuseppe

I thought i would start with the simplest option, and that is to disable the receive function on my two POP3 email accounts.  Unfortunately, this is not as easy as I imagined.

I can't leave the incoming server details blank, as it Outlook won't let me close the window with those details blanked out.  (I'm running Outlook 2011 for Mac).  The other option you linked to was via defining Send/Receive Groups, but I can't for the life of me find this option in my Outlook (there is no Tools>Options menu)

thanks again

Jack

• Hello Jack,

Thanks for your feedback and the information Iknowaguyllc provided.

Based on the current situation, it seems that setting the 2 POP3 accounts as a send-only account in Outlook 2011 is the best way.
    As a result, I sincerely suggest post the requirement (here is setting a send-only account in Outlook 2011) in the following forum about Outlook IT Pro Discussions. This is so you will get the better support of the issue.

Claud

• Hello Jack,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue?

Best regards,
    Claud

• HI Claud

Thanks for following up with me.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to configure my POP3 accounts as send only (see message above).  The instructions I have been able to find online and from this forum do not apply to Outlook 2011.  So, I remain stuck.

Thanks

Jack

• Hi Jack,

According to your earlier post, I understand that you want to set you POP3 account as send only.

And I find some useful information:
    “Ah, I found a solution. In Preferences/General, I un-checked "Group similar folders" to get rid of the unified inbox. Now the folders for account B are below all folders for account A, so there don't appear to be duplicate messages with the default inbox view. Perhaps the duplicates were always there in Entourage too but I never noticed because there was no unified mailbox view.”

For more information:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macoutlook/send-only-second-account-in-outlook-2011-for-mac/ccfac75b-4abd-4b94-97e5-9623a08f1cb4?msgId=70581654-53bf-4749-b394-eb10ed8eb1ad

Thanks,
    Robert Li

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Robert

thanks for the suggestion.  This is what i have done.  It means that i still receive 2x every email, it's just that the duplicate emails go to a different inbox and i am can choose not to look at that inbox, and delete its contents en masse once every so often.  It 's not perfect, but it might have to do.

thanks

jack

• Hello Jack,

Thanks for your feedback. We highly appreciate your time and efforts

Currently, there isn’t an option at Exchange Online server to stop receiving emails sent to Connected Accounts when connecting Outlook desktop application the Office 365 account. As a result, if you need further assistance on the issue, you may need to go to Outlook IT Pro Forum.

In addition, if you need other assistance about using Office 365, please feel free to post it in a new thread. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Claud