No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Virus detection without attachment.

• Using your smtp server (pod51014.outlook.com) to send email, sometimes happens that some email body has been deleted with this message:

FILE DELETED

Body of Message has been removed since it was found to be infected with Virus virus.

Since there's no attachment in these email, I'm asking you:

1) Are you sure that your virus engine is working properly?

2) Is there a way to disable this kind of protection?

I don't want that exchange server can delete body automatically.

Using another SMTP server, the problem disappear, so it's reasonable think that the problem is in Forefront or in Exchange platform.

Bye.

• Hello Matteo,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. Have you tried sending an identical e-mail through the Outlook Web App (OWA)? This would eliminate the local Outlook as an issue. Sometimes, if a local machine is attaching things to outgoing e-mails via Outlook (a common method of virus attachment on infected machines), our systems will pick it up and strip out the contents of the e-mail to prevent virus propagation. Please reply back with the results of the test through OWA. Thank you Matteo.

All the best,
    Ryan E. Geiger

• I don't use local Outlook. I use thunderbird on linux/windows platform. The issue disappear using OWA, but I want that this issue disappear also if we use some other imap/pop3 client. The issue is still present if we use your smtp to send email, instead disappears using some another smtp. Bye.

• Hello Matteo, 

At this time we need to determine if the issue is being generated by the Office 365 account or by the way the local mail client is handling outbound messages.  Can you please let me know if by only using the Outlook Web App if you are able to send e-mail without the body of the message disappearing?  Does the issue only happen when sending from Thunderbird on Linux/Windows?

Thank you Matteo.

All the best,
    Ryan E. Geiger

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• As I just said in previuos messages, the problem disappear using Outlook Web App and disappear, also, using Thunderbird on Linux/Windows if I use a smtp server different from "*.outlook.com". The problem is not on local mail client, because happens only if we use your smtp server to deliver these email.

• Any update?

• Any news?

• Hello,

I apologize for the delay in response.  Your post was responded to in a private message.

• Please go to the Your Details section on the right side of the community site.
    • Click Private messages.
    • Click the subject title of the response to read the message.
    • You can reply by using the form in this display.

All the best,
    Ryan E. Geiger

• I'm having the same issue except that it's on incoming mail from a person with an AOL  email address. No known reason why the body of the message would be getting removed.