Keep getting prompted for password in Outlook

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

This morning (Australia 8am) started Outlook 2010 and keeps prompting for a password, Lync signs in fine.  I can sign into portal.microsoftonline.com ok however when I click on Outlook tab it is saying that mailbox is unavailable.  Also not working on my phone.

What is going on here, this is ridiculous that I can't get to me emails?

All Replies
  • community.office365.com/.../145590.aspx

• Hi...we in Syd Australia too...about the same time...we got exactly the same password query for us...6hours later, we have some working...some not. Evidentally servers are being switched between SIN and HKN...and I dont know which to use...sometimes I get connection on 1, but not the other...then vice versa....herendous. Sometimes my MAIL can auto-detect our server addres from our pod****@outlook.com .... sometimes not.

• Hi modboi,

I understand that Outlook 2010 keeps prompting for a password. And it does not work on your phone.

To troubleshoot the issue efficiently, I would like to confirm the issue.
    1. Does the account migrate from BPOS?
    2. Have you deployed Single Sign-on at the Office 365 tenant?
    3. Does the Windows User Account have a password? If not, please create a password and check the issue again.
    4. Can you log into Outlook on your phone?

If the issue persists, please check the settings below in Outlook to set Outlook not to prompt for passwords:
    "File - Info- Account Settings -  Account Settings... -  (Select Exchange Profile) - Change... - More Settings... - Security - UNCHECK 'Always prompt for logon credentials'".

You should also make sure that the Office 365 service client is installed using the following links:
    https://portal.microsoftonline.com/download/default.aspx
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637585.aspx

If the issue persists, please re-try to add Office 365 account to Outlook, please refer to the following article:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd253202.aspx

To troubleshoot the issue on your phone, please choose your mobile phone operating system and refer to the article below to set up Exchange ActiveSync E-Mail.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd936215.aspx

@Geoff987fsedgsdg,

Please also try the steps above to troubleshoot your issue.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Hello Modboi,

Any update of the problem? Can things work well with Josephine's suggestion? If you need additional assistance on this problem, please let us know. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hi - This was actually fixed when the exchange databases where failed over to the Hong Kong servers.  There was a lot of issues reported in the Office365 community with people experiencing the same issue and it was also tweeted out eventually on the service issues.  I actually find it abit pathetic that these troubleshooting options where provided considering Microsoft were aware that there were service issues.  I appreciate you are trying to help with the troubleshooting options but at least admit it was your own problem which your support staff were surely aware of.

I find it bad form that the service dashboard was showing green ticks everywhere even though clearly alot of APAC users were reporting the issue.

• Hello Stephane,

Thank you for your update. I am glad that the issue is fixed now.

Based on my experience, the problem that "Outlook client keeps prompting for a password" might be related to various factors, for example, dns issues, incorrect settings of outlook client, user password has been expried, etc. However, it may be quite difficult to trace the root cause at present time because the issue no longer exists and cannot re-produce the symptom again. For this situation, I would suggest you to keep monitoring this problem for a couple of days to check if this problem re-appears, or you have any additional questions when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post a new question in the forum.

By the way, on the Service Health Dashboard Current status page, you can see at a glance the current status of all your subscriptions, and you can see whether any events took place during the previous six days. Icons show you if there is any service degradation or interruption. To look more closely at an event, you can click an icon and read a concise explanation of what is taking place.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jack Sun